Starting to Fill- Should I use the well water or haul in?

Hi everyone!
I've been reading and lurking for a couple of weeks, absorbing the wisdom of people who have been there and done that when it comes to a pool. We are just to the point of setting it up and filling and I have resolved to go the BBB way. I have received my testing kit (TF100) and have tested our well. I have not test the county water yet.

Here's the question-- free well water, much slower fill-up or county water at about $7/1000 gallon. After testing the well water, which we knew from experience to be extremely soft and slickery(?) (to the point of sometimes being faintly salty to my wife), I wanted to post the figures, stick'em in the calculator, and see what the experts thought. Thanks in advance for advice. Kevin

WELL WATER PH >8.2, TA 480+(yes, 48 drops before beginning to turn reddish, not fully red)
CH=10-20(2nd drop turned it blue immediately) FC=0, CYA=0
Would it be easier to balance starting with the county water?

Re: Starting to Fill- Should I use the well water or haul in

The major issue is metals in well water. Do you have metals in your well water. IF so, then I'd suggest trucking in water. If not then it's strickly up to you. With a TA that high I'd seriously consider it.

As to wiping the dropper, I have to confess that I started out wiping it every time, but as the drop count mounted, the wiping became less frequent. What was the purpose anyway? drop size looked the same to me. (If I didn't know what we were talking about, that entire first sentence makes noooo sense.)

Just from my own personal experience... If you can afford it at all, I would have the water trucked in. I just filled my pool a week ago and I can just now see the bottom. It has so much iron in it that it is taking me that long with my pump/filter provided with my intex pool to get it filtered out.. My pump has been running 24/7 since last friday.

If I had to do it over again I would have paid to have it filled.

Just as an fyi, a tube sock over the filter cartridge will catch a lot more iron than just the filter. I am going to write a post about what all I have done to get the iron out of my pool.

Good Luck!

I have well water..Fine for topping off..But,I would have the start-up hauled-in..You will be able to start swimming the same day..Less trouble to get it going..

jolly1227 said:
As to wiping the dropper, I have to confess that I started out wiping it every time, but as the drop count mounted, the wiping became less frequent. What was the purpose anyway? drop size looked the same to me. (If I didn't know what we were talking about, that entire first sentence makes noooo sense.)
Well, you got some high TA, like you didn't already know :p

The purpose of wiping the dropper is to eleminate the possibility of static electricity that can cause the drops to be smaller and skewing the results.

If you can handle it, I also suggest you have the water trucked in and make sure they are NOT bringing any metals with them. Then use your well for fill water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.