Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendation on replacement pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendation on replacement pump

Hi, I have an old AquaFlo pump with a single speed 1.5 HP A.O. Smith (catalog B123) motor. My pool is 16000 gallons and the plumbing is 1.5" copper, 36 sq ft DE filer nothing else. I was thinking of going with a Pentair Intelliflo VS but I'm getting conflicting advise. The local pool store say's no problem all I need is an adapter to go from the 2" to 1.5" copper line. Others are saying I need to replace the copper plumbing.

Any advise. Who's ncorrect?

Ken ...

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Recommendation on replacement pump

Welcome to TFP!

You can definitely use an IntelliFlo if you want to. You will need to configure it to have a fairly low top speed to protect the filter, but that is simple to do.

Getting an IntelliFlo isn't usually worth it unless your electric rates are fairly high, greater than $0.20/kwh. Below that it is usually more economical to get a small two speed pump.

Do you have any water features (spa, fountain, waterfall, etc)?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The only other thing I have is a polaris suction cleaner. I might hook up a solar heater down the road.

4. Back To Top    #4

SCE rates go from $0.12 per KWH for Tier one to $0.31 per KWH for Tier five. If you think I should still go with a two speed which do you recommed?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Escondido, CA

I have an intelliflo pump and love it. I can trim the speeds to just the right level and it is whisper quiet. You can find them on sale here and there on the web at a decent price.
    21K Gal Vinyl In Ground with block wall sides (Self Built with help), Pentair Easy Touch controller, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Intellichlor salt system, Clean and Clear Plus filter, SR Smith Typhoon Slide