Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water looks like skim milk

1. Back To Top    #1

Water looks like skim milk

Please start your own thread when you have a question. Butterfly

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and am searching for some answers about my pool problem. I have a 16x32 pool and it looks like I filled it with skim milk. I added shock and an algecide not to long ago.

My pool store said not to worry about the alkalinity being high it was at 140 at that time that it would lower itself. Now my alkalinity is 202 my ph is 7.5 and the chlorine in way to high at 5.8.

I have put to much shock in but the alkalinity is what I believe is the problem.

It has been over 90 degrees now for a week or more so I added shock and algecide to be on the safe side.

Should I add some muriatic acid or use a dry acid like sodium bisulfate?

From looking at to many charts that tell you how much you need to add I am stumped. If I do get the alkalinity in line will my pool clear up?

Would appreciate any guidance.
    Intex AG Ultra Frame Pool 6981 gallon
    Filter Cartridge type B
    Saltwater system
    Pump 1500 gph

2. Back To Top    #2
    Fairmont, WV

Re: Housewarming Party in 4 Days! - Milky Blue Water

Hi, you need to move this post and start your own so that eveyone will know it's a new topic. Then they will need a compelte set of test numbers before making any recommendations =)
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Water looks like skim milk

There are instructions on lowering TA in Pool School. It is best to use muriatic acid, but dry acid will do.

We can give you much more detailed advice if you post a full set of water test results, especially CH and CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Water looks like skim milk

The most likely cause of milky looking water is algae, but it could also be due to calcium out some other thing. Water tests are needed.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.