Kit on the way! Help with current # from strip & green pool

May 25, 2011
Jackson, MS
I know that the strips aren't the best and I'll have my test kit early next week...but currently have a green pool. :cry:

Back story - the pool store #'s were as follows.
TC 2.5
FC2.5
ph 7.9
TA 110
CH 250
Stabilizer (CYA) 185!

I drained the pool and its almost full.

I have put 5 182oz bottles of bleach in already. I diluted the last test to get a better FC reading.

PH 7.8
FC 8 (1:1 ratio)
TA 140
Stabilizer 30-50 range :party:

The pool store closes at 2 on Saturday's and is not open on Sundays (That makes sense in the south!) :hammer:

Do I keep testing it every hour to maintain a high FC level?? Is there any harm in adding the remaining 4 bottles of bleach I have on hand all at the same time?
Thanks for your help!!!!

Re: Kit on the way! Help with current # from strip & green p

What is the pool surface? Plaster, vinyl, FG?

CYA 30 - 50? :? Well, shock level for that is somewhere between 12 & 20 FC.

One 182 oz of 6% bleach will raise FC in 25K appx 3.5ppm so, times 4 bottles would add about 14 PPM FC.

Until you can get a better idea of your CYA level, I suggest you try to stay closer to 15 FC as best you can.

Do you have an OTO tester? The yellow drops?

If it were me I would go easy on the chlorine until your test kits arrives and you know what you are working with. I would add a jug 1.4G of bleach every day and try to maintain what you have until your kit arrives. If you just start dumping in bleach right now you could bleach out your liner (if you have one) or you may undershoot your shock target which will do little good. Save the bleach and attack when the kits arrives doing everything in your power to keep the pool at shock level until you pass the overnight test. I would add your pool surface to your signature line so those in the know can give you accurate advise.....vinyl, plater, fiberglass?

I should have my kit by tomorrow but I was antsy so just received the following from the pool store.
Keep in mind that last week I drained a lot out of the pool to drop the CYA #'s.

The good news is that its no longer green!!! There's some dead algae on the ground that I am going to vacuum tonight. But at least the algae is gone...now I need to figure out what to do get rid of the cloudiness. Since we moved in, I've never seen the bottom of the deep end. Please help.

TC 2.6
FC 1.4
ph 7.7
TA 145
Calcium Hardness 175
CYA 115 :grrrr:

The cloudiness will filter out. Leave your pump on 24/7. You are going to need to go through the entire shock process once you have your test kit though, so until then your water will most likely remain cloudy.

That CYA level is still high :(

Only what has been added to the pool will cause high CYA. Trichlor and Dichlor are the two main culprits, other than just adding stabilizer alone. Folks who have only used trichlor tablets for chlorinating are the main victims.

Who gave you that number? Pool stores are notorious for giving incorrect CYA numbers.

mjwilliams81 said:
TC 2.6
FC 1.4
ph 7.7
TA 145
Calcium Hardness 175
CYA 115 :grrrr:

These numbers say you have over 1ppm combined chlorine. They also show that you are nowhere near shock level for the pool. You will want to see less than .5ppm combined chlorine, AND less than 1ppm loss on the overnight test, AND the water is clear (not necessarily crystal, but clear) to know when to stop shocking. You are most certainly not done shocking, and no amount of filtering will clear the water, the algae will re-bloom. Soon... for sure.

With CYA that high (115) your shock level is 27ppm. You must add bleach/liquid chlorine to go from 2ppm to 27ppm. That will be a LOT.

Your minimum chlorine is 9ppm, target is 15ppm. 2ppm chlorine is nowhere near enough for your pool even if you aren't shocking. Daily, you'll need to dose the pool up to 15ppm depending on your test results. Expect to loose about half your chlorine daily, so you will have to add it back every night. You need at least 9ppm of reserve at all times.

Is there a very good reason you aren't doing a partial drain to lower the CYA level? Not only is CYA that high difficult to manage, it's expensive... and heavy (bottles of bleach).

You will feel much better and more in control when you get your kit. Hang in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well, the pool store gave me that number...so I'm hoping they are incorrect.

I already did a partial drain, about 2/3rds and have only added Clorox since then.

I had the pool store run the numbers again out of curiosity. I should have my kit no later than Wednesday and am converting over to the BBB method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.