Fairly new to all this pool chemistry stuff, but I am a research nut so I have probably read this forum for something like 10 hours trying to wrap my head around it. Here's the story.
Filled the Intex 4400 Gallon above ground metal frame pool at the beginning of summer, had some problems with the levels (my wife was trying to maintain it at the time, didn't end well) and began researching the BBB method and TFP. I raised the pool to shock level added a bunch of solid CYA to the pool and waited, keeping the pool at shock level for a couple of weeks. At this point I was using test strips and the water wasn't really improving, there was some obvious algae growth on the ladder and such, so when it came time for a 2.5 wk vacation, we drained 90% of it and left it to get out of control, figuring we'll drain it the rest of the way, scrub it clean, and refill it when we return.
Fast forward 2.5 weeks, we return, drain the pool, clean it up as best as we could, and refill it. With my newfound knowledge I immediately brought the pool up to shock level and kept it there while trying to get everything else in line. Our water is very alkaline from the hose, about 230, so I've been dumping a ton of muriatic in to keep the ph in range, hoping to bring the TA down eventually.
Anyway long story longer, the pool is starting to look greenish to me again, my wife says it looks orangish to her, I don't see it. Pictures of the pool make it look crystal clear, there's a pic at the bottom, if it helps. Normally I would say "obviously the tint is algae and you need to shock the pool, here's the problem. I was waiting for my K-2006 to come in the mail so I let my FC come down into a range where I could measure it before dumping a bunch more bleach in (wanted to have a point of reference so I didn't add 15 when there was already 15 in there). So the level came down to about 5PPM, I dumped in enough chlorine to take it to about 15 ( I didn't measure exactly, I needed to dump in 82 of a 192 oz bottle, and i had about half a bottle left, so I just dumped it all in. I've since received my test kit and did a FAS-DPD test to see where I was at. 2 full days after dumping in bleach to get the FC to about 15, I'm at 12, with 0 CC. I feel like 3PPM give or take a couple over the course of 2 full days, one of which was very rainy, when I have an unmeasurable amount of CYA in there, seems low for a pool swarming with algae, so I'm confused. Do I have algae based on the tinting of the water, or do I not based on my test results. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do the overnight test, well to be honest only because I don't really want to wake up at 5AM to check the pool .
I feel like I've written a novel here, so I'll spare you and conclude with test results:
PH: 7.6 (bringing this down AGAIN today)
CYA: not measurable, though there is some in there
These measurements taken almost 48 hours after the levels should have been roughly:
CYA: Not measurable
To conclude, in my very noobish opinion, the levels look good, obviously I'd rather have a lower TA and not have to keep throwing acid in. The water doesn't look good except in pictures. Do I have a problem?