Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP - Newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP - Newbie

My pool will be 5 yrs old this Aug. I always relied on pool place till this summer. I have spent so much on chemicals only to have the FC AT 0 & green algae on the bottom of my pool. It was very green all winter, then I put in the chemicals the pool people said & I thought that would be it. But it's either keeping green or I won't see any green maybe a week & then it's back.

I am totally new at testing my water & trying to do this myself. But I have to do something different. I fell like I've been putting money through a shredder, & I can't afford that.

I used Aquacheck strips to test. I will get one of the test kits suggested as soon as I can. Right now it's raining here. My pool water is crystal clear but again there's green algae on the bottom of the pool & on the ladder.

One more question, why is it dangerous to swim if the FC is a 0?

Thanks in advance!!!! Appreciate the help!!!!
    16,800 gal AG-Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    Hayward SP 1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2 Hp
    Installed: August 2006
    TFT test kit TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: HELP - Newbie

Welcome to the forum

A pool with zero chlorine has no protection from bacteria that are easily transmitted. A pool with O chlorine is unsanitary and you CAN get sick from swimming in it.

I suggest you start by reading the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry up in Pool School. That'll get you some basic knowledge and probably prompt you to ask some more questions.

I will tell you up front that it is almost impossible to maintain a pool the way we teach and not have a good test kit.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome. I already read all the articles in getting started & pool chemistry, except water balance for SWG'S ( I didn't think I needed that one).

I will definitely get a kit. Is there nothing I can do right now before the kit, just to keep the pool from getting worse?
    16,800 gal AG-Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    TFT test kit TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, the pool calculator said to add 139 oz of 6% bleach & 74 oz of muriatic acid. Can I go ahead & do that without hurting anything or making anything worse? If so, do I add it all at once or spilt it into hourly intervals?
    16,800 gal AG-Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    TFT test kit TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Is there nothing I can do right now before the kit, just to keep the pool from getting worse?
    Yes. Lower your pH. Bring it down to around 7.4 using muriatic acid. The strips don't do too badly with pH.

Secondly, you can add 1 small jug of Clorox each evening until you get the FAS/DPD kit to accurately test chlorine. That will keep your pool reasonably sanitary and may actually start to kill some of the algae.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Bridget -- welcome! Ordering a test kit will be the best thing you ever did for your pool -- you will never regret that investment.

As to how to add the two chemicals, bleach and muriatic acid - wait for someone to answer that part of your question or add them separately. Pretty sure there are rules on not doing them together, but I've never had to use muriatic, so I've never gotten up to speed on that. But I seem to recall someone saying they don't even store them together . . .
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome! Definately need a good test kit. Mine is absolutely, positively worth every cent!

Wait 30 minutes in between the addition of muratic acid and bleach...I've heard they do not play well together.
    24' Round 52" High AG, Waterway 125 SF Pro Clean 2HP, 2 SPD Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover Jr. /TF-100 Test Kit/ BBB - Ex Baqua User

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok I just ordered the TF100XL kit. With shipping- $91.77. Hopefully, this will help me get this all right. I must say, it looks intimidating. I guess I will feel like a chemist! Waiting now!!!!
    16,800 gal AG-Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    TFT test kit TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

It may look intimidating but actually it's very simple. Just follow the directions and you will be fine. I never had a day of chemistry in my life and I perform all my tests with the TF100. Got to say I luv, luv luv it!!
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi Bridgetgirl and welcome to TFP!
    This TF-100XL kit is great!
    I'm a mechanic and was a little intimidated at first with mine.
    Just like the OP said, follow directions on the lid, if you don't understand any part of them come back to your post here and ask. We all have been here before and this will be a smooth ride to getting your pool right.
    This kit made me feel like the Dog Whisperer!
    My pool did exactly what it was told to do!
    I was in the same boat as you back in April, found this site and read for about 2 weeks and then knew that I had to do this with all of the success story's and the help here.
    Best thing I ever did is to have the knowledge to do it myself.
    I do now suffer from Sparklypoolitis!
    My pool is perfect all the time and now I don't even spend $20 a month on it (other than electric) 3 mins a day and brush and vacuum on the weekends. My pool is always screaming at us to come swimming every second!

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

11. Back To Top    #11

When you get the kit post back and we'll help get this fixed.

The kit will be intimidating at first, but after using it several times it gets easier and starts making more sense.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks everyone! I know I can do it with yall's help! Can't wait to get my kit in!!!!

I can't wait to suffer from Sparkypoolitis! Sounds wonderful!
    16,800 gal AG-Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    TFT test kit TF-100