Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizers

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizers

Have received mixed messages on adding stabilizer to pool...ie...in the skimmer...never in the skimmer...

I have bucket Nava Stabilizer

Can I dissolve in bucket of water then add to pool? Then how long should I wait to test CYA?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Intex Metal Frame 24'X52" agp, Intex 2500 gph filter, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Calculator, Taylor K-2006,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizers

Pre-dissolving CYA is more or less hopeless, it takes forever to dissolve.

Wait a week after adding CYA before testing the CYA level again.

There are several ways to add CYA, each has advantages and disadvantages. I recommend putting the CYA in a sock or stocking and hanging that in front of the return jet. You can also put the sock/stocking in the skimmer as long as it won't completely block the skimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I use the sock method. Just put it in a sock or nylon and hang it in front of the return. I squish it several times during the day to get it in the water faster. I've noticed the stabilzer I get from walmart disolves fairly quickly if I'm squishing. I usually wait about 5-7 days to test it, but dose like it's already in there.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

When you say return jet..... do you mean the jets that push the water back in the pool or the return that sucks the water back to the filter? Sorry, just confused and want to do it right.
    18,000 gallon in ground SWG sand filter electric cover

5. Back To Top    #5

The jet that puts water back into the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Those that return the water to the pool.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay so where do I find the advantages/disadvantages to putting the sock in front of a jet or through the skimmer?
    18,000 gallon in ground SWG sand filter electric cover

8. Back To Top    #8

If you pour directly into the skimmer you need to not backwash or clean the filter for a week. You also run a small chance of causing damage if you pour the CYA in too quickly and block all of the water flow.

The sock in the skimmer still needs to not clean/backwash the filter for a week, but avoids any damage risk.

Hanging in front of the return avoids both issues, but takes a little longer to dissolve.