what chemical to use first

Jul 14, 2011
I tested my water today here are my results, PH 7.5, CYA 0, CL 0, TA 240 CA 240. I know I need to put CYA and clorine in it so I dont get grow stuff, but does it matter what I put in first. To me the CYA seems logical because it stabilizes the Clorine. Also did my alkaline test come out right, I dont understand how that can be high and PH be normal. anyways any suggestions are appriciated

Scott

Add the CYA and the chlorine simultaneously. The CYA can hang in a sock in front of a return where it will slowly dissolve. The chlorine can just be poured in.

ETA: Your TA, although high, can be dealt with by the addition of acid to lower the pH to 7.2. You can also follow the instructions here to lower TA. pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

TA being high doesn't mean your pH will be high. It just means that the pH will rise more quickly than it would if it were lower.

I did learn that too.
My TA was @ 120 and the PH always crept up and used muratic acid to lower it.
Then I decided to lower the TA to 80 and this fixed my pH from rising, stays at 7.5 all the time even with pool party's and lots of little ones splashing around! :wink:

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.