Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what chemical to use first

1. Back To Top    #1

what chemical to use first

I tested my water today here are my results, PH 7.5, CYA 0, CL 0, TA 240 CA 240. I know I need to put CYA and clorine in it so I dont get grow stuff, but does it matter what I put in first. To me the CYA seems logical because it stabilizes the Clorine. Also did my alkaline test come out right, I dont understand how that can be high and PH be normal. anyways any suggestions are appriciated

36,000 gal. Cartidge filter, IG (inground), it is a gunite pool. Only had pool for 4 months, but it is 7 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: what chemical to use first

Add the CYA and the chlorine simultaneously. The CYA can hang in a sock in front of a return where it will slowly dissolve. The chlorine can just be poured in.

ETA: Your TA, although high, can be dealt with by the addition of acid to lower the pH to 7.2. You can also follow the instructions here to lower TA. pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

TA being high doesn't mean your pH will be high. It just means that the pH will rise more quickly than it would if it were lower.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

A quiet pool with high TA may have pH in range, but add a pool full of kids and it will rise, fast.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Clearwater, FL.

I did learn that too.
    My TA was @ 120 and the PH always crept up and used muratic acid to lower it.
    Then I decided to lower the TA to 80 and this fixed my pH from rising, stays at 7.5 all the time even with pool party's and lots of little ones splashing around!

Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.