Chlorine tablets "pucks"

Raaron

Jul 9, 2011
I know most of you use the bbb method. I have heard some say they use them when they go on vacation. Are there any reasons for not using them besides CYA? Do they put other stuff in the water besides chlorine and CYA?

Raaron said:
I know most of you use the bbb method. I have heard some say they use them when they go on vacation. Are there any reasons for not using them besides CYA? Do they put other stuff in the water besides chlorine and CYA?

The ones I see at Walmart and Costco both contain copper which will build up and cause staining.

Trichlor tablets add chlorine, add CYA, and lower PH. Adding CYA is great when your CYA level is low, and can be a serious problem when CYA is already high. Likewise, lowering PH is great if your PH is high, and quite annoying when PH is low. As long as you are aware of what your levels are and either need or can compensate of the other effects, there is no problem using trichlor tablets. For most people most of the time, CYA eventually gets too high and you have problems.

CYA can go away, but not in a controlled way, and is often associated with bigger water problems. I had an incident a few weeks ago where nearly all my CYA disappeared in during an algae bloom. This was caused by my chlorine metering pump failing the one week I was out of town letting my FC drop to 0, I came home to find somewhat cloudy water and a stopped up DE filter. Before the incident my CYA was in the 20-25ppm range (indoor pool), I ended up adding enough CYA to boost it by 20 ppm (the test only reads down to 20 ppm), a couple of weeks afterward my CYA tested out at 25-30 ppm so I am estimating that during the algae bloom my CYA dropped to under 10 ppm. (note it can take over a week for powdered CYA to fully show up on the test from the time it is added to the water)

Ike

Andrew Sarchus said:
Raaron said:

The ones I see at Walmart and Costco both contain copper which will build up and cause staining.

The HTH/Pace brands do add copper to their tablets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.