Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine tablets "pucks"

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine tablets "pucks"

I know most of you use the bbb method. I have heard some say they use them when they go on vacation. Are there any reasons for not using them besides CYA? Do they put other stuff in the water besides chlorine and CYA?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine tablets "pucks"

Quote Originally Posted by Raaron
    I know most of you use the bbb method. I have heard some say they use them when they go on vacation. Are there any reasons for not using them besides CYA? Do they put other stuff in the water besides chlorine and CYA?
    The ones I see at Walmart and Costco both contain copper which will build up and cause staining.
    20k gallon free form plaster pool with a spill over spa, sand filter, Master Pools in floor cleaner, Jandy PDA and Jandy Lite2 natural gas heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Trichlor tablets add chlorine, add CYA, and lower PH. Adding CYA is great when your CYA level is low, and can be a serious problem when CYA is already high. Likewise, lowering PH is great if your PH is high, and quite annoying when PH is low. As long as you are aware of what your levels are and either need or can compensate of the other effects, there is no problem using trichlor tablets. For most people most of the time, CYA eventually gets too high and you have problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the cya slowly go away or eventually go away. I have Leslies tabs and it doesn't say they contain copper but that doesn't mean they couldn't.

5. Back To Top    #5

Does the cya slowly go away or eventually go away. I have Leslies tabs and it doesn't say they contain copper but that doesn't mean they couldn't.
    There have been reports of CYA mysteriously vanishing, but it's so rare as to be newsworthy.

CYA only goes away by draining or splashout.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Does the cya slowly go away or eventually go away.

Several of us whose pools freeze during winter have observed zero CYA once the water is thawed the following spring.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

7. Back To Top    #7

*Crosses fingers for 0!* or at least a loss of 1/2
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]