Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm new here

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm new here

Hello TFP people! Someone e-mailed me about this site from another site I like to post daily to so here I am checking you out and I'm liking it so far. I come from a background of 25 years in commercial and residential service in SoCal and pretty much dedicate my time now to repairs, installations and problem solving. I do a lot of IntelliFlo pump installs along with salt and automation as well. Looking forward to chatting with people in the future. I'm based in Murrieta, CA which is in the Temecula Valley about an hour north of San Diego.....
    Authorized IntelliFlo Installer

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome! It's always great when we get new members who are in the industry. We appreciate people taking time to share their experience.

I think you'll find this is a great community of people.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3

repair_guy,

Let me second SeanB's welcome to TFP.

I have read your posts on the other pool-related website and I'm looking forward to reading your contributions here also.

Have you done any Ikeric System variable speed pump installations, or have all of the variable speed pump installations you have done been IntelliFlo's?

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Welcome repair_guy!

I too have enjoyed reading your other posts. Looking forward to your posts here.

Happy Holidays!

Dave
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

First, welcome to the forum. It's a very knowledgeable bunch and we hope you'll be an active participant.

Secondly, what other site are ya'll talking about? I have not found anything that comes close to the quality of info on this site since the old PF went South. If there's another good one out there, I'd like to know about it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    what other site are ya'll talking about?
    The Gardenweb Pool and Spa forum.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Brent, welcome to TFP!!!

It's always! a pleasure to see other 'pool dudes' come to the forum 8) You appear to have a strong grasp on the flow rates, etc (which I don't ) and have lots of experience to share with the folks here. I'm hoping to learn a lot from you on the Inteleflo (we installed our first one this year, at the owners' request - I finally got it to run properly [the electricians hadn't wired it correctly at first ] but I'm not sure I've got it to it's optimal performance -- when I go out to open the pool next spring, I'll get all the relevant info and post it for your opinion)

I hope that this past year has been good for you, it hasn't been for new construction this year in Ct

Thanks for joining and sharing your knowledge -- Ted
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8
    Welcome repair-guy ,

So glad you are with us and willing to share your knowledge! Enjoy and Happy Holidays !

Joyce
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Titanium...

Quote"Have you done any Ikeric System variable speed pump installations, or have all of the variable speed pump installations you have done been IntelliFlo's?"

I do not have any experience with this pump simply because it is not in my market. I've got way to much invested in the IntelliFlo and as far as I'm concerned, everybody is trying to match that product and never will as long as they keep thinkng variable speed. Variable flow is the saver and no matter how you slice it, properly installed, it will save more than any 6, 8, "variable speed" you can come up with.

Hayward has theirs but it is 6. Jandy has one but it's 8. The inability to ramp up and down on demand is still not comparing apples to apples. I just happen to know this pump very well and I'm running with the leader rather than trying to follow or somehow mirror the standard with another product.

I'm not too interested in the Hayward product mainly because they don't seem too interested. Secondarily, the TriStar pump is proving to not be too reliable and as you know, the IntelliFlo is built on perhaps the most reliable housing ever. With the untested TriStar and the untested Hayward Energy center, it's not worth the investment in my eyes.

I try to not get too involved with the "micro-thinking" of this technology as some seem to do in their comments. It's really about explaining to the homeowner that there are better options. I was always anti SWG as they were not 100% reliable for the whole season as nobody wanted to run the long hours and the cell replacement issues were there. Well, now that's changed. With longer run times on these pumps, we're turning down the SWG's and they actually work well and the cells are working less. They're now an economic option.

I find it funny that people approach an IntelliFlo and complain that the cost is too much for unproven technology yet they will drop the same amount of money on a SWG that is proven to take a dump in 5 years. We already know motors last longer when they don't run as hard. We also know that they last longer without the voltage irregularities, running dry and wihout running with leaking seals. The IntelliFlo is designed to overcome all of these motor killers and spreading that word is what I like to do. That's why I prefer to stick with this item.

I get my hands on about three hundred motors a year. you can't sell everybody but they are the ones who truly are missing the boat.
    Authorized IntelliFlo Installer

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Hey Repair Guy,

Welcome to the forum Big Guy!

Take Care,

Michael Silvester