Green murky water and low CYA

Jul 15, 2011
Abington, PA
Please help. I've been reading for more than an hour and haven't found the answer to my specific problem. First let me say that I have an natural unfinished gunite/concrete (not sure if there is a difference in those 2 terms but in the 3 years I've owned this house I've heard both being used to describe my pool), IG pool which is surrounded by trees. Even when it is crystal clear it appears green. I've always assumed it was the fact that there is no finish to the pool floor and the water refelcts the green surroundings.

For the past week I have had green cloudy water, can't see the bottom on the deep end. My results as of a few hours ago are:
FC 1, TC 1, pH 7.2, TA 110, CH 250, CYA 20.

I know that the CYA being low will affect the chlorine so I think I need to do something about that before I dump in a gall or two of liquid chlorine. Please advise on whether or not I should be bringing up the CYA before shocking? Also, I'm a bit concerned about the pH, although it's in range I think it's a bit low. Thoughts?

I so appreciate any advice. Thanks

[attachment=0:2x0zv528]IMG009[1].jpg[/attachment:2x0zv528]

Attachments

• IMG009[1].jpg
    IMG009[1].jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 126
Don't worry about the PH. It will probably come up very slowly on it's own.

I would start adding a little more CYA and start shocking at about the same time. Either one can come first, there is no need to wait for the other. If you haven't already, take a look at the instructions on shocking your pool in Pool School.

You can also bring it up to shock level for your cya of 20..........add cya to the level you want.................wait 24 hours............and raise the shock value to match the new cya level (which won't show up on testing for a while yet). Couple of points over won't hurt either.

Pool is not much improved at all. Went back to the pool store today for a water check. The guy who tested my water yesterday was fired this morning. He apparently had my results all wrong. After putting a sock of conditioner in the skimmer and 1.5 gallons of liquid chlorine in last night about 8PM my results are as follows:
FC 2, TC 2, pH 7.0, CYA 0, CH 250.

The Pool store sold me Yellow out and said to bring up my pH to 7.8 - 8 with 4lbs of soda ash, wait 4 hours then dump in 2 lbs of yellow out, wait 5 mins then shock the heck out of it (4 lbs of powder or 4 gal of liquid).

Good advice? Or should I just wait and call the pool service on Monday! I'm at my wits end...sigh.

Shock is a process, not a one time dose. You need to get your chlorine up to shock level for your cya and keep it there until the pool starts to clear. That may entail adding chlorine or bleach every hour. Read Pool School how to shock your pool. You really need a good test kit (like TFTest kit). If you learn to take control of your water and do it yourself, you will never need "pool store" avice again.

It may seem a little overwhelming at first, but I've been using this method for 2 years now and have never had algae (other than opening), and it was cleared in just a few days. And believe me IF I can do it, anyone can! =)

Oh, please don't raise PH and put yellow stuff in the pool. Save it, get your money back. Read about shocking, get a good test kit and stop talking to pool store. PH of 7.2 is ok for shocking, after you're done you can raise it a tad to 7.4'ish when you're ready to swim.

I don't see how it's possible there's no CC with it that green and cloudy considering you haven't shocked it yet.

OK, I have a bit of success after a long weekend. I can see the bottom of the pool clearly, even at the deep end. Thank you, thank you, thank you. So glad I found this site. Couple more questions:

I've been running the filter for about 3 days now, when can I go back to the regular 10 hours?
I switched to bleach (6%) last night after using chlorine (12.5%) and noticed some sudsy bubbles when I pulled the solar cover back and I can still smell the bleach. Is this to be expected?
I think I read that I don't need to use and algaecide. Is this correct? If not, shall I put one in now since the water is clear?

Here is a pic of the pool as of this morning. May not look like much to those with blue floors but for me and my natural concrete finish I'm feeling pretty good.

[attachment=1:2ba2xikv]IMG015.jpg[/attachment:2ba2xikv] [attachment=0:2ba2xikv]IMG018.jpg[/attachment:2ba2xikv]

Attachments

• IMG015.jpg
    IMG015.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG018.jpg
    IMG018.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 69
The bleach is your algaecide. You don't need anything from the pool store.

Keep going on the shock process, and keep your pump running until the shock process is complete.

The bubbles are a normal part of the shock process killing the algae. The bleach smell is from chlorimine. It's also a normal part of the shock process. Once your pool is rid of the algae, the smell will go away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.