Related problems or separate? Spa draining to pool, etc.

PLEASE HELP ME! :cry:

I'm still having issues that I simply don't seem to be able to resolve. Desperately need advice/guidance...

1. SPA DRAINS. Whenever the system is shut down, spa empties to pool level. It also drains when I tried running it in spa mode. As long as the system is running in pool mode, all is well. This is a recent problem, began intermittently, has become permanent. Never had this problem ever in the prior 5 years. STEPS TAKEN: Replaced the check valve, even though it looked great when I opened it up. Planning to open up the pool/spa return valve as it seems to be the last possibility. What exactly am I looking for? Could it be anything else?

2. CHECK VALVE DRY. Noticed this morning that there was no water in the pool/spa return check valve and it was literally bone-dry (system was running in pool mode at the time). I've never seen this happen, but I have noticed recently that even when there's water in the valve, it doesn't seem "full" and I never seem to see the flap engaging in any way, regardless of system mode.

3. DE BLOW-BACK. After backwashing the filter today (temporary measure until ready to clean fully in the next day or two), I returned the push/pull valve to the normal circulate position. Decided to open the pressure relief valve to make sure all was well. As soon as the air began to flow through the valve, I saw DE entering the pool and spa through the returns/jets. The system was not running at the time. It happened while the pressure was releasing. When the system is running DE does NOT come out of the returns. I don't recall ever seeing this happen before.

Incidentally, I do have a small 1-inch air bubble trapped between the ribs of the pump basket lid. It's always been that way, from the very beginning, so I haven't ever given it much thought. Seems it has nowhere to go due to the ribs in the lid, but maybe I'm missing something.

Please help me. I've got less than a week until I leave the country. At this rate, my only option will be to keep my system running 24/7 which I'd really rather not do.

3 is normal. If you let air into the filter it will drain, allowing water and DE to run backwards towards the skimmer(s)/drain(s). Seeing a bubble in the pump strainer basket is also normal as long as it remains about the same size.

For the spa to drain down while the system is running in spa mode, some return flow must be going to the pool. That suggests a problem with the pool/spa automated return valve. That problem could be that the valve is not moving fully into position or leaks internally even when it is in position.

On the other hand, for the spa to drain when the system is off, there either needs to be a problem with the spa return check valve or the pool/spa automated suction valve. Again, that problem could be that the valve is not moving fully into position or leaks internally even when it is in position.

It is very unusual for two things to break at the same time, which makes me wonder if someone setup the actuators on the two automated valves incorrectly. I would try disengaging the valve actuators and manually adjusting the valves and seeing if there is still a problem. If that still doesn't work, it is time to open up those valves and check for debris or broken parts.

I would try disengaging the valve actuators and manually adjusting the valves and seeing if there is still a problem. If that still doesn't work, it is time to open up those valves and check for debris or broken parts.
I should have mentioned that I did discover that the actuator on the pool/spa return valve was not working at all (was getting 100% spa return regardless of the mode). I removed the actuator and manually rotated the valve. This got my pool returns working, but the spa is still draining.

Just realized that the valve was not rotated fully into pool return position. Managed to get it positioned all the way around which resolved my drainage problem (until I can get the actuator replaced).

I guess the actuator was slowly failing (as the drainage problem was intermittent), and when it finally died, it was in the spa return position. Once I got it fully into pool mode position, the check valve filled up with water, and everything *seems* normal now... will post back if I'm wrong!

I am having a similar problem. I have a pool and spa with a spillover between them. I have it programmed to run the filter pump on pool mode 2x a day. Today, I used the remote control to turn on spa mode in order to get the spa heated. The spa started draining. I read this and thought maybe I'm having a similar problem, but not sure how to manually turn the valves or what n actuator is. Any advice?
also, Im a new user and will need to look at the brands of equipment I have to make sure my signature is right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.