Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best test kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best test kit?

I need to get a test kit for my salt water pool. I'm looking for a product that takes the guess work out of readings. I'm a bit color blind so accurately reading test strips is not practical. Cost is not a concern, I just want to buy something that is easy to use and fool proof. Is there anything with a probe that can be installed around/in the pool equipment that can give constant digital readings?

Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best test kit?

While waiting for any replies I continue to do some research and came across this kit. It's a LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit. It tests Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, Bromine, PH, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid. Are there any other tests that I will need to run that the kit does not cover? Not that it necessarily means much, but it got five out five stars from all who reviewed the kit on Amazon.com.

Anyone have any experience with it or have a better suggestion? Thanks!

3. Back To Top    #3

I use the TF100, sold by a beloved forum member here http://Www.tftestkits.net, hope I got that right. I have no experience with the electronic tester you mention but when I was into planted discus fish tanks, I heard that the pH meters some were using required recalibration too often to be dependable.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    I use the TF100, sold by a beloved forum member here http://Www.tftestkits.net, hope I got that right. I have no experience with the electronic tester you mention but when I was into planted discus fish tanks, I heard that the pH meters some were using required recalibration too often to be dependable.

Thanks for the info, but I really need to find a kit that does not require me to read subtle color shade differences. From what I'm reading it seems that there is no 100% accurate digital test reader/kit. Consequently, I'm trying to find the best available one and go with it because they cannot be any worse than me trying to accurately read color test strips.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi callaway.

I understand your concern in regards to color comparison tests however besides the ph test the others require you to only notice a change in color, it doesn't matter which color you see. In the tests the color changes are quite dramatic.

I think you would be surprised, and this doesn't even touch upon the fact that you cant get a more accurate test kit anywhere.

Good luck

22,200 Gallon Rectangle IG - Vinyl Liner w/ Jacuzzi Lazer Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Calloway606 and welcome to the forum

Here's one link for ideas about being colorblind and reading tests: what-if-your-colorblind-t32186.html

You can search for more links by doing a google search, bottom left of this page, and search for "colorblind".
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

As said above, the only comparison test is the pH and you can get a pH tester if you want to help with that. I'm colorblind and don't have a single problem with the TF-100 tests. I even bought a pH meter and never use it anymore. The pH test is good enough that I can easily distinguish the levels.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit