Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Refilling pool after draining?

1. Back To Top    #1

Refilling pool after draining?

We're draining our pool with a submersible pump, but we're not sure what to do after draining. There will be a little water left in the pool. It's dirty and has algae in it. Should we refill the pool on top of the water and then go ahead and balance/shock the pool with algaecide and what not? Or should we try to kill the algae before refilling the pool? We have a salt water system. What would the steps be after draining?

sorry if this is in the wrong category
    38x18 Oval 27000 Gal
    In Ground Vinyl Sides
    1HP Pump
    Sand Filter (unsure of flow rate)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Refilling pool after draining?

Welcome to TFP!

Why are you draining the pool?
    Do you have HIGH CYA?
    Do you have HIGH Salt?

If it is because of the algae, you can just treat the current water and it will clear up.
    If it is because of HIGH CYA, Salt or both, then a drain and refill would be best. You may not need to drain the whole pool though.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

Getting all the water out is the best, but if you can't you can refill and then use bleach/liquid chlorine to shock it and clear it up.

You can also add bleach to what water is left and brush it around to kill the algae and then fill it up and run the pump/filter to filter it out. That way you won't have to shock once you get it filled, you can just keep chlorine in it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I think I'm going to put bleach into the little water that's left to kill the algae. Can I use regular bleach to do that? And how much? There's only about a foot of water left in the pool, but there are leaves and algae on the bottom and surface. This is our first time opening the pool for the season so we're new to this.

We drained the pool because our cover blew off and we didn't have the time to maintain it, the water was cloudy and it eventually got so bad that we couldn't see the bottom. The pool company here said to just drain it.

If this helps, my pool is 24 ft and 52 inches deep
    38x18 Oval 27000 Gal
    In Ground Vinyl Sides
    1HP Pump
    Sand Filter (unsure of flow rate)

5. Back To Top    #5

You should clear out all debris, or as much as possible, before you add any chlorine to the water.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to scoop as much of the debris out as you possibly can.
    Add 1 quart and brush it around really well. After an hour add another quart and brush it around. Keep doing that until you've used a large (182oz) jug. Yes, you use just regular bleach. I buy a lot of Great Value at Walmart.

You also need to get a good test kit so you can maintain the pool. There's a link in my sig to the best one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

You have the best advice you can get!
    Get a TF-100 test kit. This is the tool you need to be the boss of your pool and save lots of $$ over the course of time! Have you ever heard of the slogan "Pay me less now or pay me more later"?
    This kit will prove this statement is very true.
    Now that my pool was refilled and cleaned up after a year of being "Pool Stored" (spending way too much at the store from them telling me to add this, now use this, and blah, blah, blah).
    My pool is perfect all the time due to doing this the TFP way using BBB method I only spend about $18-$20 a month, NO MORE! (+ whatever electric cost to run the pump) That's less than a $1 a day!
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.