Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Beginner Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Beginner Questions

I have a 15,000 gallon in-ground concrete pool. The surface of the pool has pretty much worn off (rough on the feet). Every time I try and brush the pool, I kick up clouds of something, not sure if it's organic or more of the pool surface. Then it takes a couple days for the cloudiness to go away. I seem to always be battling slight cloudiness anyway, and a visible layer of greenish silt tends to build up on the bottom of the pool 3-4 days after vacuuming.

Should I still be brushing given the eroded surface of the pool?

Thanks,
    Doji
    15,000 gallon outdoor in-ground plaster pool
    Sand filter flow rate 62 GPM
    3/4hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Beginner Questions

Welcome to TFP!

I would suggest you post a set of pool numbers. I think there may be something going on in your water.

FC
    CC
    TC
    PH
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    Salt (If you have any)

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

You should be vacuuming up asa much of that dust/dirt as you possibly can. If too much dust accumulates on the bottom it becomes a breeding ground for algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

At 9pm last night (Thurs)

FC 13
    CC .5
    TC 13.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 260
    CYA 60

At 8am this morning (Fri)

FC 12
    CC .5
    TC 12.5
    PH 7.4ish
    TA
    CH
    CYA

I have a sand filter that I think is about 5yrs old. I've been in this house for a year so not sure how old or what condition the sand is in. I have been using the weekly "trichlor/shock/PinchaPenny" way with less than satisfactory results. As I said above, the water is always slightly cloudy/green.

Thanks again.
    3/4hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Since the last test results.......

We've gotten about 2 inches of rain,
    7 kids swimming instead of the usual 2 and
    Vacuumed to waste and refilled with hose water.

New test results (Thurs 3pm)

FC 7.5
    CC .5
    TC 8.0
    PH 7.5
    3/4hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to know your CH or TH, and your TA. That would help a lot. It is possible you have low or high CH and this could be causing you issues.

Also, you might want to do a sock test in front of a return to make sure you aren't getting sand back from the filter. Turn off the filter for several hours, have someone hold a sock over a return while another person turns on the pump. Keep that there for a few seconds, then check the sock for sand.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    You need to know your CH or TH, and your TA. That would help a lot. It is possible you have low or high CH and this could be causing you issues.

Also, you might want to do a sock test in front of a return to make sure you aren't getting sand back from the filter. Turn off the filter for several hours, have someone hold a sock over a return while another person turns on the pump. Keep that there for a few seconds, then check the sock for sand.

Would CH and TA have changed since the Thurs 9pm results?
    3/4hp pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry about that, overlooked those figures. I don't see a problem there.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to the forum

With a greenish silt on the bottom and the water always a slightly cloudy/green, I suggest you go ahead and shock the pool.
    Direction on How To Shock Your Pool are in Pool School.

Even tho your FC/CC #'s look good, that does not mean that something is not growing in there and you could be just barely keeping it from overwhelming. It could be cloudy from the pool surface deteriorating, but it should not be green!

You need to stop with the weekly shocks and shock only when needed. Also, the trichlor already has your CYA at 60, which is above our 30 to 50 range recommended. You can probably do fine/okay with the 60 CYA in Florida, but it will require a higher shock level and will cost more $$ in bleach/liquid chlorine.

Can you post some pics of your plaster issues?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the replies. Hope these pics are clear enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    3/4hp pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks like mine. My steps look like that, too. I don't think mine has been replastered since somewhere around '89 to '91 based on the receipts I found. Do you know how old your plaster is?

You might need a suction side cleaner to help you get the silt out of the pool. "The Pool Cleaner" gets good reviews, is not too expensive, and will work fine in a pool the size of yours.

Here's a pic of my surface.

12. Back To Top    #12

Not sure how old the plaster is. It was like that when we bought the house a year ago.

Should I be able to vacuum silt through the filter? I usually vacuum to waste. Seems like the few times I did it through the filter I couldn't see the bottom by the time I was done. Not sure how to check the filter sand.

Thanks again.
    3/4hp pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Use the sock test I described above to test for sand.

I can't filter to waste, and my pool is too large for a suction side cleaner, so I got a robot. I will say the first few months it really got caked inside the filter bag with white powder, which I assume to be the plaster in the pool. I got left with quite a mess!

My understanding is plaster only has around a 5 to 10 year life expectancy. I can't say I heard that from an expert, though.

14. Back To Top    #14

Plaster should last about 10 years, longer if you are extra careful about keeping your levels balanced. I've heard of plaster over 20 years that still looked fine, but that is unusual. And of course the plaster can be ruined very quickly at any age if your levels are too far out of balance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School