Should I use some clarifier?

jenlop

Jul 4, 2011
Central Connecticut
I'm guessing I already know the answer to this question, but I really, really was hoping to use the pool this weekend. We have a few people coming over and the following weekend we leave for vacation so that will mean we don't make it in the pool until August. :?

Anyway, I've been fighting this darn algae and we've made some good progress. The water still has a green tint to it, but it's very cloudy. I've kept the chlorine levels up for about 5 days now, but it seems that the chlorine usage is slowing down. Here's my test results. All are from last night, except FC, CC and TC are from about 45 minutes ago.

FC 15.5
CC 0
TC 15.5
pH 7.2
CH 170
T/A 100
CYA 20

This morning, about 4 hours ago, the FC was at 16. Yesterday during about the same period, I saw the FC go down by about 2 ppm.

Do I just need to wait it out, or is there something else I can do/add to help this along?

Also, what chlorine level is ok for swimming?

At 0 CC, looks to me like your pool will turn soon. It seems to be a sudden occurrence for those who are maintaining shock faithfully although no "time" can be predicted. Keep maintaining shock level, you're almost there. Good job!

Wait, or forget clarifier. If your filter is doing it's job, it will clear eventually. It WILL be cloudy till then.

It is said that swimming at shock level appropriate for CYA is safe. Cloudy water is not safe to swim in though. Can't see people drowning.

POP for you now :~}

Have you passed the OCLT except for the clear water part?

If not, you need to keep shocking and not worry about adding anything but chlorine to your pool. Keeping it at shock level as much as you can makes it go faster but clairfier won't help until after all the algae is dead, and may not then.

Bama Rambler said:
Have you passed the OCLT except for the clear water part?

If not, you need to keep shocking and not worry about adding anything but chlorine to your pool. Keeping it at shock level as much as you can makes it go faster but clairfier won't help until after all the algae is dead, and may not then.
I haven't done one yet. I'll give it a go tonight.

Frogabog, sorry, what does "POP" stand for? I'm sure it's something that'll be completely obvious to me once you say it...

that sounds like a great idea! Kind of like don't buy a boat, just ride in everyone else's!

Thing is, almost none of my friends have water as clear as mine, so I get a little freaked out getting in other pools! :)

Is there any advantage to adding more chlorine if it's already above shock level other than not having to add it later? I've been using the bags of chlorine "shock" (calcium hypochlorite) and yesterday finally got several big bottles of regular bleach. Since my chlorine level is above shock level (CYA = 20) at 14.5, should I just watch it today and add the bleach when/if it starts to get closer to 12 or so? Or should I just add a bottle of bleach to get it way up there. Will one clear the pool faster? Or will it take just as long but require less adding of chlorine later on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adding DE to your sand filter wll help you clear up the pool after you pass the overnight test. I picked up a good sized box at Lowe's that will last me the entire season and it really helps in filtering out smaller particles. There is instructions on doing this in the pool school.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.