Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean up after a storm

1. Back To Top    #1

Clean up after a storm

I need help! After a huge storm 10 days ago, several days of high winds, and a thunderstorm with rain, my pool is a disaster. I brush the walls and sweep the bottom daily, and backwash the filter at least once a day. I keep adding bleach to 'shock it' but nothing seems to change. Current readings are:

FC - 3
    TC - 2
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 110
    CH - 280
    CYA - 35

What am I not doing, should be doing, or doing wrong?

Appreciate any advice!
    Sirena~
    Phoenix, AZ
    35-40K gals; Sand Filter; In Ground; Plaster; Sta-Rite System3 130 GMP.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Clean up after a storm

It's not clear from your post what you are trying to do. How does the water look?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How does the water look? Are you raising the pool to shock level and keeping it there? Read how to shock your pool and enter your current test results in The Pool Calculator to determine shock level and how much bleach you need to reach shock level.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The water is a dirty green.
    Sirena~
    Phoenix, AZ

5. Back To Top    #5

How are you measuring your levels? It isn't possible to have TC of 2 and FC of 3, since TC=FC+CC.

Read the advice above, and go through the shock process. You are going to need to be able to accurately measure high FC levels, therefore the question on how you are getting your numbers.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I've read "how to shock your pool". I've also entred info in "The Pool Calculator". I'm using the Talor K-2006 Test Kit. I've added 10.5 gals of liquid chlorine/bleach in the past 36 hours. It sounds obsurd, I know but, when testing the FC, I can actually see the color decreasing as I'm taking the reading.
    Sirena~
    Phoenix, AZ

7. Back To Top    #7

As you do the FAS-DPD test, you add drops of the 871 to the powder/pool water solution, swirling as you go, until clear. It will slowly get more and more pale as you add drops, this is normal. Add drops until COMPLETELY clear, no tinge of pink at all. Divide the number of drops in half, and that is your FC level. Next you add the 5 drops of R-0003, then add the drops of 871 again until clear again. Divide that number in half, and that's your CC level. I think this might be what you posted as your TC level. If so, a CC of 2 means you certainly need to continue the shock process.

This thread may help you with the test kit.
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow, now I'm realy confused - I don't have 871 drops. What is happening is, after adding 5 drops of each reactor R-0001 & R-0002 to the 9ml of pool water, I attempt to match the color and take a reading (FC, I believe) and while doing so, the color of the sample is getting lighter. So, when adding R-0003 the color (TC) doesn't increase enough to be higher than FC. Am I missing something? And it's not my marbles!
    Sirena~
    Phoenix, AZ

9. Back To Top    #9

Are you sure you have the K-2006 and not the K-2005? The K-2005 has a plastic unit with two square tubes at each end, one for Cl and Br, one for pH. You put 5 drops of R-0001, shake, then 5 drops of R-0002, then compare the color to the graduated color guide next to the tube.

I have one of those too, I use it on a daily basis. I've never seen what you describe occur. Hopefully someone that has will chime in.

You can get the FAS-DPD test pieces for just FC from http://tftestkits.net and you really need the FAS-DPD test for shocking.

10. Back To Top    #10

I purchased Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit, which I understood to be a Taylor K-2006 with a private label. Every item in the kit has Taylor written on it. Did I get duped?
    Sirena~
    Phoenix, AZ

11. Back To Top    #11

I have not seen the 2006 at Leslie's. They do have the 2005. Just add the FAS-DPD test items to that kit and you will be fine.
    http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm getting more & more confused. I purchased this kit after reading the recommendation on this site at Test Kits Compared. pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison So what does the FAS-DPD mean on the Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit label?
    Sirena~
    Phoenix, AZ

13. Back To Top    #13

Yours doesn't look like this? This is Leslie's version of the K2005.

If you have a FAS/DPD, you should have a couple of items that look like this. Your R-0871 may not be this large, but the label should read the same.

14. Back To Top    #14

No! Mine looks like this http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 81329.html. I'm currently at work so, can't post a photo of the real thing!
    Sirena~
    Phoenix, AZ

15. Back To Top    #15

OK, my leslie's doesn't have it! So you should have some 871 and 870 in there. You can follow the directions in the link I posted earlier.
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Make sure you do the FAS/DPD test!

16. Back To Top    #16

Thank goodness, I thought I was going crazy, or stupid, or something! Is it possible to purchase these products locally? That way I can pick it up on the way home from work.

Thank you so much for all your help and time... much appreciated!
    Sirena~
    Phoenix, AZ

17. Back To Top    #17

Your kit should already have them. Locally for me, nobody has them.

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm almost certain it does not but, may be I over looked it. I'll let you know!
    Sirena~
    Phoenix, AZ

19. Back To Top    #19

I checked and my kit does not have 870 & 871 but, now I realize, I was sold a different kit. It's not the one I asked for and what I thought I purchased. It's actually this one... http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 81330.html which, I think is more like your one. Not the same as the numbers are different.

Thanks for your time!
    Sirena~
    Phoenix, AZ

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by sirena
    I checked and my kit does not have 870 & 871 but, now I realize, I was sold a different kit. It's not the one I asked for and what I thought I purchased.
    Disturbing how often that happens.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast