Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing to bypass cartridge tank

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing to bypass cartridge tank

I have a crack in the lid of my cartridge tank - tried repairing but it isn't working. Pool place suggested AB Epoxy - that didn't work.

Bama Rambler said that I could bypass the tank by doing this: To bypass it you just hook a pipe from the inlet to the outlet fittings and that's all there is to it.

I'm not sure what that means - would the pipe go under the skimmer basket and to the return, or from the inlet pipe that hooks to the other skimmer basket down by the pump?

How would i determine the size pipe I need? Would Lowe's or Depot have it?

I'm a single girl and not a plumber :P

Any advice would be great!
    Florida Pool:Above Ground, 15,200 gallons, Cartridge, Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing to bypass cartridge tank

I believe that he means for you to remove the filter and run a pipe between the two pipes that used to connect to the filter. Doing this takes a little PVC plumbing knowledge and buying appropriate parts, but isn't especially difficult. You will need to be able to cut pieces of pipe and measure carefully. If you want to go that route we can talk you through it, though there is a fair bit to learn.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason:

Is there an adapter that would fit on the inlet pipe that I could put in place to put the return hose on?

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason is correct about removing the filter and connecting the pipes.

We might be able to make better suggestions if you can post a pic of the filter and the inlet and outlet piping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are the pics - i took them to Home Depot and got fittings and bought pliers to get the nut off, but it's ridged and the pliers won't grab.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

You either need bigger pliers or a pipe wrench. you can take it off at the pump and just hook the return hose to the pump outlet (top). That'll do till you can get the filter replaced.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit