3 days frustration with dirt on pool bottom

UPSguy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Toledo, OH
First I know it is a given that the intex pumps aren't worth much but the 2500gph (yea right, sure it is) puts out a pretty decent flow when the filter is clean. Here's the problem. For 6 weeks the pool stayed very clear and very little on the bottom, think I used the vacuum 3 times that first 6 weeks. Now the last 3 days I can't keep dirt off the bottom. It may be that it hasn't been used much this week and without all the neighborhood kids stirring the water up the sediment has settled. I have switched the pump to run 24/7 and have vaccumed once and swept the bottom 2 or 3 times each day. What is going on????

I had to call Intex's customer service right after we got the pool as I had to patch 3 holes I could find right off the batt. Boy the CS stinks. He asked me if I had any sand under the pool and I told him we leved the ground then added some sand to smooth things out. He told me I shouldn't use any sand under the pool and I can expect the liner to rip because of it. I hope all this dirt on the bottom isn't for that reason.

Oh well, if it is I guess we'll be getting the real pool sooner than later.

Putting a knee high stocking or biodiesel filter bag over the return can catch a lot of the finer stuff that the filter can't. Another thing I do is detach a hose and vacuum to waste. That gets it out of the pool for good and doesn't lose as much water as you would think.

Do you have a sand filter?
I was getting sand at the bottom of my pool a few months back. Played havoc with the auto vac. Couldn't think where it was coming from. Although we had not had any significant winds, I thought it was coming from the desert landscaping surrounding the pool until I saw a small pile below a return. It turned out to be filter sand coming through a leak inside the filter.

That's odd about the "sand will make your liner rip" comment.

I know we were supposed to get a groovy pad and all... but not a single Intex pool that we've had has ever NOT been on a bed of sand. There's a tarp or two over the sand, yeah... but get this, none of our liners has "ripped", ever. That's just weird to think that sand makes them rip. hmmm... didn't know that. I suppose I should expect it.

Going on 13 months of pool on a sand bed now. Disaster does not seem to be looming IMO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.