higher cya safe?

SHADEZ

Jul 10, 2011
on the chlorine CYA chart the higher the cya the more chlorine it says needs to be reached .. as far as I knew only 2 ppm chlorine is a safe level .. going over 3 and up is hazardous .. what am I not understanding completely .. the efficiency of the chlorine? how can i test that in pool water? I;'ve been hold 5 plus chlorine for the last week .. two people have been in it no problems .. except for a light green pool

It comes down to Active chlorine in the water. So FC of 5 with a CYA of 40ppm will have an active chlorine level of 0.04ppm (or something like that - see the chart in the post below). The rest of the Chlorine is bound in the CYA and not active. Chemgeeks post is here

pool-water-chemistry-t628.html

Also keep in mind the FC guidelines you are referencing are based on EPA drinking water standards and assume 0 CYA in the water. The EPA says you can have 4ppm chlorine in your drinking water - with no CYA. So if your drinking water in a closed pipe can have 4ppm of active chlorine - putting 0.04 ppm active chlorine in the open pond in your backyard can't be that toxic right?

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants ... ctants.cfm

Sounds like your pool has a pretty high CYA and your FC level of 5 isn't high enough to keep up with the algae. If you post a full set of test results we can help.

Good luck

Most of the chlorine is bound to CYA while the standards for pools are based on drinking water standards with no CYA even though you are not drinking quarts of pool water. See this post for limits for commercial/public pools set by states that are higher than the 4 ppm EPA drinking water standard (Florida allows up to 10 ppm).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.