Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to kick off sides of pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to kick off sides of pool?

People want to swim in my pool, and they just semm to have to puch off the side of it with there feet. Is this okay for the pool? I don't let them kick near the seam of the pool. Thanks!
    Niagara Falls, NY
    27' Vogue Revelation Round 54" AG Pool = ~19000 gallons with solar cover
    GLI 28ft Whirlwind Above Ground Solar Reel System with 4" Tube
    BBB using TF-100 test kit
    Hayward EC50C93STL System
    1.5HP Power-Flo Matrix Pump runs from 8AM till Midnight ( Overkill ?)
    EC50AC Perflex D.E. Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safe to kick off sides of pool?

I let them jump off the ladder... I yell at them when they push off the side of the pool too much. Does that help?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

3. Back To Top    #3

My ool, my rules - no jumping from the ladder, no pushing off the walls, no p in my ool. JMHO

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool: no pushing off of wall, no standing/sitting on rails and no jumping off of ladder.
    We have a partial wrap around deck so people can jump from that.
    My 5 year old is exempt since she is too light to do any damage.....my wife is still learning

As the builder of the pool I do occasionally push off the walls when swimming but I do it very lightly, as long as people aren't ridiculous in the way they shove off the wall then I don't worry too much about it.

PS: People jokingly ask me "Haha, will the water turn blue if I pee in there?"
    To which I respond with a straight face "No....red."
    They look at me "......really???"
    It's hilarious.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pjiv
    People want to swim in my pool, and they just semm to have to puch off the side of it with there feet. Is this okay for the pool? I don't let them kick near the seam of the pool. Thanks!
    We have the same problem! They constantly jump off the steps (which worries me that we will get a tear in the liner) and push hard enough off the walls that sometimes you hear them "pop". They act like I'm being rediculous and that it can't hurt anything.... , but they aren't the ones who have invested all the money and time/care into it like we have.... They're family, so what are you supposed to do?
    24' Round 52" High AG, Waterway 125 SF Pro Clean 2HP, 2 SPD Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover Jr. /TF-100 Test Kit/ BBB - Ex Baqua User

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm assumeing that from the responses it is not safe to do so, I will stop them now. Deck going in next week.
    Niagara Falls, NY
    27' Vogue Revelation Round 54" AG Pool = ~19000 gallons with solar cover
    GLI 28ft Whirlwind Above Ground Solar Reel System with 4" Tube
    BBB using TF-100 test kit
    Hayward EC50C93STL System
    1.5HP Power-Flo Matrix Pump runs from 8AM till Midnight ( Overkill ?)
    EC50AC Perflex D.E. Filter