Pool newbie question with images

Limey

Jul 14, 2011
Central Florida
Hi Everyone :-D

Myself and the wife recently bought our new ( to us ) home and it came with a pool. We have thus far understood the basics of maintaining the chemical balances, every week we get the water checked out and it comes out fine so far.

My newbie question is that I do not quite understand what all the valves are near my pool pump. I only know what the main tank does in respect of cleaning filtering and back washing. Our pool consists of 6 jets one of which doesnt work, a waterfall and two skimmers.

Below are some pictures of what the pool pump looks like, I would be most grateful if you could advise me on what all these valves do? The pool was heated via solar at one point, that is all I know.

When I turn the black valve near the basket the pool pump starts to make a high pitched noise, as if it is loosing prime so I put it back to original setting, the water in the basket also appears to go down when I turn this dial.

I am unsure what the red valve on the wall is , when I turn it I can hear water traveling through them pipes, however again I put it back to original setting.

The other area of uncertainty is the object called the chlorinater , unsure if maybe this was once salt water based perhaps?

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

The valve in front of the pump selects between two sources of water, presumably selecting between the two skimmers or using them both. If you have a main drain it might select between the main drain and the skimmers. In the upper photo it is drawing water from just one side. In a lower photo it is drawing water from both sides.

In one of the upper pictures it looks like you have a winterizing plug in the skimmer.

The other three way valve, on the badly painted pipe, selects between two places where water returns to the pool. This might be two sets of return jets, or all of the return jets and the waterfall. In the pictures it is set to go both places.

The red valve on the wall relates to the old solar system. Leave it in that position. You could improve your system efficiency if you got rid of that loop of pipe running to and up the wall, not a huge deal, but worth thinking about.

JasonLion said:
The valve in front of the pump selects between two sources of water, presumably selecting between the two skimmers or using them both. If you have a main drain it might select between the main drain and the skimmers. In the upper photo it is drawing water from just one side. In a lower photo it is drawing water from both sides.

In one of the upper pictures it looks like you have a winterizing plug in the skimmer.

The other three way valve, on the badly painted pipe, selects between two places where water returns to the pool. This might be two sets of return jets, or all of the return jets and the waterfall. In the pictures it is set to go both places.

The red valve on the wall relates to the old solar system. Leave it in that position. You could improve your system efficiency if you got rid of that loop of pipe running to and up the wall, not a huge deal, but worth thinking about.

Thanks for your response appreciated.
When I turn that valve in front of the pump it makes the pump noisier and also the water in the pump basket starts to go down, I got scared so I turned it back - does this mean anything?
Sorry for sounding dumb, with the vacuum removed ( the grey snake ) and the black plug out of the skimmer both skimmers have flow. For some reason we were told that the vacuum gets connected to the skimmer closest the pump and then we had to plug the hole in the skimmer furthest away from the pump to allow the vacuum to operate. When we unplug the vacuum / snake we then were told to remove the black plug and re-insert both baskets. What is the purpose of that winterizing with the white plug in skimmer - both skimmers have a white plug in them, meaning any pros and cons in removing it? How would I check to see if I have a main drain?

I agree with the excess solar pipes, looks too messy and not efficient.

I have the same vaccum system as you - this is because I have no other way of turning off the skimmmer that isn't being used for the vacuum.

Basically, this directs all the flow from the pump through the one skimmer and so up the vacuum, it hasn't got alternative paths like the other skimmer.

I only use a manual vacuum on this. I don't have an automated pool cleaner. I don't think this kind of system is suited to automated cleaners that are left in place for long periods (because neither skimmer is working as a skimmer).

The white plug is sealing the second hole in the bottom because there is nothing connected to it. The black plug is a winterizing plug, which can also be used to improve vacuum suction.

The pump having problems when you move the valve suggests that the other pipe is leaking and allowing air to get in.

If you have a main drain you will see it on the bottom of the pool, one or two areas, usually either round or square though occasionally rectangular, covered by slotted covers.

JasonLion said:
The white plug is sealing the second hole in the bottom because there is nothing connected to it. The black plug is a winterizing plug, which can also be used to improve vacuum suction.

The pump having problems when you move the valve suggests that the other pipe is leaking and allowing air to get in.

If you have a main drain you will see it on the bottom of the pool, one or two areas, usually either round or square though occasionally rectangular, covered by slotted covers.

I only put the black plug in when using the pool vacuum. Is this correct? Otherwise it is removed when using the pump with vacuum removed.

When I direct the pump valve to main drain, there is one at the bottom of the pool the pump makes a high pitched noise and the water level falls in the pump basket, is this what you are talking about it? I am assuming the valve is directing to the main drain, how can I verify? thanks.

When I turn the below valve to the opposite direction pressure gets lowered and the pump basket water level falls causing the pump to be noisy as if its loosing prime. Is the the valve that directs to main drain at the base of pool ?

IMG_0624.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.