Try HTH "3-in-1 Chlorinating Tablets?

rowdy93

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
Bonaire, GA
Looks like this is what I need!? Bought my house 2yrs ago with my first pool, have been using tri-chol from Lowes since then. Previous owners "schooled me" and local pool store. Didn't realize there was a problem until a few weeks ago when I joined the forum and "schooled" myself with your info. CYA is at 110ppm! I don't want to do a half drain every year. I don't have the money to convert to SWG yet due to the $ spent on new filter and pump. I would like to continue using the clorinator for now if i can. Is this what I need in order to use the Clorinator, not have to drain anually and not have high CYA levels? The IG is vinyl and I have a new rainbow dispenser not installed yet

Re: Question regarding HTH "3-in-1 Chlorinating Tablets

Do I have any other options out there?

Run tri-cholr and deal with high CYA

Run HTH and deal with high CH

I'm pretty much stuck with a clorinator until I can afford a SWG, maybe next year.

I do use Liquid Clorine, bleach, bought from my pool store for shocking 12.5%, 2.5gal for $5 a jug, but with my work schedule it would be pretty difficult for me to be able to add manually everyday

There are other auto-feeders than SWG. I'm using a Liquidator, far cheaper than an SWG, downside is you still tote bottles but maybe only once a week in a pool your size. There are other options for auto feeding chlorine, but they all get a little more expensive, topping out at SWG. You can put that 12.5% in the Liquidator, too; and probably you could get away with adding even less than once a week. I'd put 10 or 12.5% in mine, but I can't find it anywhere around me. Found 10% once, but it was of unknown age, and was $5.99 a gallon (higher than store-bought 6% comparing PPM).

I tried them at the end of last year before i went BBB and had problems with them with water that starts out at CH 225 i ended up with a CH of over 500 rather quickly the calcium in them didn't seem to dissolve had cloudy water and white powder that would settle on the ladder and everywhere ended up having to drain.

Im always up for an explosion.lol. The one I have now is a hayward that has alot of wear on it. Since im replacing everything else on the pad I bought a new rainbow feeder.

Thanks for all input

Robbieh...guess I got lucky on the chlorine concentrate and price of it

Guess I will start looking for a liquid feeder and send the tablet feeder back. Any suggestions?

Any idea on how much liquid the pool will take a week? I never used liquid but to shock

Alright this is what I found. I looked at the system that Jason has and also looked at this system http://www.inyopools.com/Products/19000002045985.htm

I'm liking the idea of the water powered motor, no increase in my energy bill, the water motor is also rebuildable and uses the same chem tank that stenner sys would use.

I know the stenner sys is tried and true. Any experiences/opinions on the water motor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Chemicalizer has been come up before, see for example here. The conclusion is that it wasn't a good choice.

Just because it is water powered doesn't mean it saves any electricity. It will reduce your flow rate, and so increase your ideal pump run time.

Im thinking im going to try the chemicalizer, in reading the past threads I didnt see anyone owing one that complained about it. Only one person had one and they liked it. I didnt like the clicking fact, but it was said it was seldom and not really audible. I realize the valve will be closed alittle to supply pressure to it, therefor working pump harder. I just dont see this being significant enough to notice much of a cost change, at least not enough than running a stenner pump would b. If I get it I will have to record the head with valve fully open and valve closed enough to run pump. I can report back if there is a interest. Will be a couple of weeks as im still waiting for my pump, got everything else as I star at my new swamp everday

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.