Saying hello with my story

Jul 14, 2011
I just moved into a house that had a pool, the house was repo'd and the pool cover was open a little, it sat there for prabably 2 years without anyone touching the thing, I bought the house opened up the auto pool cover and a rope snapped so it wont close. the water was terrible, dead mice, gophers, birds, sunk and floating. water greenish black and only about an inch visablity. Anyways long story shorter, I ended up draining the pool scrubbing as clean as I could get and refilling it. Looks better now, Tommorow the guy fixes the pool cover to keep leaves, and animals out of my pool. I am excited and wanted to say hello. Also I really like the BBB idea, does it really work well? I filled the pool from my well, it is free water. I hope that is fine, I am getting a water tester tommorow as well.

The BBB way works great!

Have you added chlorine (bleach) to the pool yet? You might want to do that right away, assuming your current chlorine is zero if you never have, and you can use a pool store to check your water until you get your kit. You can also assume CYA of zero on a new fill, so you can get some stabilizer while you are at the pool store, but nothing else!

Use poolcalculator.com to estimate how much bleach and stabilizer (CYA) to add.

Make sure you get the FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor k-2006 or TF100 from TFTestkits). I would NOT rely on the "Leslie's" copy of the Taylor kit, they seem to like to sell the K-2005 and then refuse to take it back when you realize they sold you the wrong one.

Also, as previously mentioned, get stabilizer (CYA, can be found at walmart) into the pool right away, then add bleach immediately after you hang the CYA sock (tube sock w/stabilizer, rubber band the top and tie off in front of a return).

I'd shoot for 30-40ppm CYA for now unless you're in a very hot/sunny location and then you'll want to go for 40-60ppm CYA. Start low, you can always add more. CYA does not go away, so to lower it you will need to drain and refill.

The most important thing is to get some chlorine in the pool. If you can't get CYA today, use 0 in the now column in the calculator and set goals for trouble free pools. You'll need about 2ppm of chlorine w/0 CYA, buy bleach and pour some in in front of a return, slowly. (Or float the cup and just let the water displace the bleach underwater).

How many days has the new water been in the pool with no chemicals? It might be blooming algae again already, even if you cleaned the dry pool with bleach or especially if you didn't use bleach to clean the pool.

If you get the right kind of test, make sure to test for combined chlorine right off the bat. CC is the difference between total and free chlorine. It should be less than .5ppm. If it is higher than .5, you will want to shock your pool instead of just adding 2ppm.

In that case, please read pool school and especially the "how to shock your pool" section. It is important that you note that shocking is a process (verb), not a product even though it is commonly sold as a product (powdered shock).

In all that, we'd really love to see some pics. Some of us live vicariously through people with cool pools yano... :~}

Yes my pool stunk very badly, I did clean it with bleach, then when it was full I poured some liquid bleach in I am not sure how much I used I just poured it in figuring with 36k gallons of water, a few gallons of bleach might still not be enough, also my pool isn't really all that cool, it is just a rectangle no fountains or anything like that it does have a diving board at the deep end. I am getting the water tester today, so hopefully I can see what I need to keep it nice and clear. :?: I also am wondering if a automatic pool cleaner would help on this? :?: if so what type would be reccomended? I have been reading on here about some of them and I really have no idea. thanks for the help

Frogabog has a point. If it's been sitting with no chlorine for a while, and if you don't plan on getting in it for a few days, I'd hit it with 4 gallons of regular Clorox and let that go until you get your kit. It will burn off the FC pretty quickly, but might help you if you have a little bit of algae in the pool from sitting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.