backwashed for the 1st time but left valve closed for a sec

Jul 14, 2011
I've only been a pool owner for about 2 months now and have a pool service that comes weekly to do backwashing, etc.

Had a bad storm though and decided I needed to backwash myself. Read the instructions and gave it a try...ran the filter in backwash mode for about 15-30 seconds before I realized I had not opened the backwash valve...small amounts of water were dribbling out of the top of the filter by the handle (hayward sand). Shut it off, went through the backwash and rinse process with the valve open, then went and closed the valve and went back to filter mode.

My main question is, did I cause serious damage to the filter? It seemed to run great afterwards and clean up the final spots of dirt that were left in the pool. I am just hoping this mistake won't cause issues down the road...Haha but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Re: backwashed for the 1st time but left valve closed for a

You're being a little paranoid, but that's not a bad thing. You probably didn't hurt the filter any.

If the multiport valve is operating correctly and the spider gasket isn't leaking, there's no need to close the extra valve. There's really no reason to even have the extra valve.

Re: backwashed for the 1st time but left valve closed for a

Thanks I had read horror stories online about leaving the valve closed, but I'm assuming if I see no leakage or any issues when running it now I should be ok

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.