Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crack in cartridge tank lid

1. Back To Top    #1

Crack in cartridge tank lid

I have a Waterway Pro Clean 75 filter system that came with my above ground pool. The dome lid that goes over the tank that holds the cartridge has developed a crack. You can't see the crack but you can see the water coming out in a spray. To replace the lid, I will have to order one and wait for it to be shipped. Is there a temporary fix that would seal the crack until I can get a replacement?

I was told by the pool store that AB Epoxy would work.

Please help!
    Florida Pool:Above Ground, 15,200 gallons, Cartridge, Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crack in cartridge tank lid

I always advise against patching a pressure vessel, especially a filter vessel. A lot of people have done it and got it to hold but, it's not a good practice. I would just bypass it and keep the circulation and chlorination going without filtering.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I always advise against patching a pressure vessel, especially a filter vessel. A lot of people have done it and got it to hold but, it's not a good practice. I would just bypass it and keep the circulation and chlorination going without filtering.

How would I bypass it? Just got the price on the lid and it's over $200 - maybe I should just get a new system. Would it be better to switch to a sand filter?
    Florida Pool:Above Ground, 15,200 gallons, Cartridge, Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Switching to a sand filter is a judgement call. You might check Craigslist in your area and see if someone has a complete filter you could use.

To bypass it you just hook a pipe from the inlet to the outlet fittings and that's all there is to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit