Did I damage my pump???

Jul 1, 2011
NJ
On Monday I connected my new Intex 16" sand filter/pump. Only 2 days later I came home to find my over-the-side skimmer (only intake source) up out of the water. I guess the stupid blow-up ring lost some air and didn't hold the skimmer tight. There was some water left in the basket area of the pump; about 1/3 full. The pump was running like that for anywhere up to 3 hours. I fixed it and reset it and it ran fine. So, was the pump just trying to prime itself or was it really sucking air?

You should be fine, but there could be problems if it happens again. When the pump runs dry it will tend to overheat. If it gets too hot, which takes time, there can be damage. If there had been damage, it would have been obvious right away, usually things like major leaks.

It was really sucking air. You probably damaged it some, but how much, is anybody's guess. If it's running fine and not leaking then I wouldn't worry about it. Since it still had some water in the basket it didn't run completely dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.