Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Did I damage my pump???

1. Back To Top    #1

Did I damage my pump???

On Monday I connected my new Intex 16" sand filter/pump. Only 2 days later I came home to find my over-the-side skimmer (only intake source) up out of the water. I guess the stupid blow-up ring lost some air and didn't hold the skimmer tight. There was some water left in the basket area of the pump; about 1/3 full. The pump was running like that for anywhere up to 3 hours. I fixed it and reset it and it ran fine. So, was the pump just trying to prime itself or was it really sucking air?
    Intex 15x36 Easy Set (2,800 g.)
    Intex 16" 2650 gph sand filter/pump combo & SWCG
    Intex 800 gph filter just for the surface skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Did I damage my pump???

You should be fine, but there could be problems if it happens again. When the pump runs dry it will tend to overheat. If it gets too hot, which takes time, there can be damage. If there had been damage, it would have been obvious right away, usually things like major leaks.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It was really sucking air. You probably damaged it some, but how much, is anybody's guess. If it's running fine and not leaking then I wouldn't worry about it. Since it still had some water in the basket it didn't run completely dry.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info.
    Intex 15x36 Easy Set (2,800 g.)
    Intex 16" 2650 gph sand filter/pump combo & SWCG
    Intex 800 gph filter just for the surface skimmer