Pool Hoses leaking! HELP ME!

tonieb

Jul 13, 2011
I have a Lomart pool. Recently the pump went out and I replaced it with a Hayward 1.5 hp. My issue is that I noticed water leaking from one of the hose as though the clamp wasn't tight enough. I tightened the clamp and it was still leaking water. I went to the pool store and bought another hose as well as more clamps. Now it is leaking from the hose that runs to the filter. Once again it seems like I cannot get that clamp tight enough even though it will not go any tighter. What am I doing wrong? I have searched the internet and read about applying silicone and that would stop the leak as well as converting it to hard plumbing. Which would be the better option? We are going on day 2 now of the pump being turned off because of the leak and fear that the hose will pop off and dry run the pump. HELP!!!

I don't remember what the cure time is, but it isn't long--check out the instructions on the "purple primer" and the "blue glue" PVC adhesive.

Flex PVC is nice, I hear, (I'm going to try it out when I install my new pump) but I find it to be expensive. Depending on where you are, it may not be so bad. I read (but don't know from experience) that you *don't* want to use purple primer on the flex pipe. Its purpose is to soften the pvc a little and flex is already soft. But there is a PVC cleaner that you can use to remove anything that might prevent a good seal.

When I hard-plumbed, I put it together without glue first to make sure all the cuts and angles were right. Then I marked every joint with a cross: 1) on top around the pipe and 2) lengthwise on the connector and the pipe. (see photo) Old timers probably don't do this, but I found it helpful to make sure all my angles and lengths were right.

You'll need valves to shut off the flow from the skimmer and return (pump maintenance, etc.) and "unions" to allow you to disassemble a section of the plumbing if you need to (pump or filter replacement).

That was my first plumb, so it ain't pretty. I'm sure the experts will come along to fine tune it for you.

Attachments

• IMG_0116_edited.jpg
    IMG_0116_edited.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0117_edited.jpg
    IMG_0117_edited.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0118_edited.jpg
    IMG_0118_edited.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 290
LauleaHere&There said:
Oh, and, be sure to pick up plumber's grease to help seal any threaded connections, like into the pump, and at the filter against leaks. Some people like teflon tape, but I found it to be a pain.

I personally use Teflon tape and then cover the tape in a light coating of Teflon liquid thread sealant

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.