Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Hoses leaking! HELP ME!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Hoses leaking! HELP ME!

I have a Lomart pool. Recently the pump went out and I replaced it with a Hayward 1.5 hp. My issue is that I noticed water leaking from one of the hose as though the clamp wasn't tight enough. I tightened the clamp and it was still leaking water. I went to the pool store and bought another hose as well as more clamps. Now it is leaking from the hose that runs to the filter. Once again it seems like I cannot get that clamp tight enough even though it will not go any tighter. What am I doing wrong? I have searched the internet and read about applying silicone and that would stop the leak as well as converting it to hard plumbing. Which would be the better option? We are going on day 2 now of the pump being turned off because of the leak and fear that the hose will pop off and dry run the pump. HELP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Hoses leaking! HELP ME!

tonieb, I had the same problem. Nothing I did, including silicone, helped. I think the pump was pushing too much water for the hoses with clamps. So I hard plumbed it (It's easier than you think) and haven't had a leak since.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much! I am going to try the tomorrow. Any advice you can give? Does the glue need to set up before we can start up the pump again?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I use blue pool-tite glue and flex pvc. It makes it easy to plumb.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't remember what the cure time is, but it isn't long--check out the instructions on the "purple primer" and the "blue glue" PVC adhesive.

Flex PVC is nice, I hear, (I'm going to try it out when I install my new pump) but I find it to be expensive. Depending on where you are, it may not be so bad. I read (but don't know from experience) that you *don't* want to use purple primer on the flex pipe. Its purpose is to soften the pvc a little and flex is already soft. But there is a PVC cleaner that you can use to remove anything that might prevent a good seal.

When I hard-plumbed, I put it together without glue first to make sure all the cuts and angles were right. Then I marked every joint with a cross: 1) on top around the pipe and 2) lengthwise on the connector and the pipe. (see photo) Old timers probably don't do this, but I found it helpful to make sure all my angles and lengths were right.

You'll need valves to shut off the flow from the skimmer and return (pump maintenance, etc.) and "unions" to allow you to disassemble a section of the plumbing if you need to (pump or filter replacement).

That was my first plumb, so it ain't pretty. I'm sure the experts will come along to fine tune it for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh, and, be sure to pick up plumber's grease to help seal any threaded connections, like into the pump, and at the filter against leaks. Some people like teflon tape, but I found it to be a pain.

7. Back To Top    #7

make sure you get PVC rated for pressure applications, and the flex PVC is very strong/durable, but I find that it is heavy and can pull on end fittings.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by LauleaHere&There
    Oh, and, be sure to pick up plumber's grease to help seal any threaded connections, like into the pump, and at the filter against leaks. Some people like teflon tape, but I found it to be a pain.
    I personally use Teflon tape and then cover the tape in a light coating of Teflon liquid thread sealant
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp