How do you test for chlorine

Whatrymes

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2011
E. Bridgewater, MA
I'm wondering how you all do your routine chlorine testing. Does anyone use the fas-dpd almost exclusively?
. . .OR
Which method do you use for routine checks, DPD?
. . . OR
OTO?

I really enjoy testing with my TF-50's fas-dpd test. I'm wondering in the long run if that will be wise economically.

I have a hard time telling the shades of yellow apart so like you, I almost exclusively use the fas-dpd test. More expensive I'm sure, but I'd rather know for sure where I'm at. Interestingly, I have no such problem with the ph test.

FAS-DPD 2 or 3 times a week. I have to stare at the OTO test for quite a while to detect the shade, but I always do it first then run FAS-DPD to see how close I am. I'm getting better. I also tried with the DPD tester from an old Leslies kit, and I am much more accurate with that. I must be able to discern shades of pink better than shades of yellow.

That shade of yellow is difficult for me.
I use the 2 part red shade daily, once a week or 10days I confirm w the FAS DPD
The red is just so much more accurate for my eyes
I get it at Leslies (unless I'm placing an order w our magnificent Duraleigh), Taylor R 0001 + R0002; it tests FC not TC, & you need that cell w the red on itnot the yellow OTO.

I determined beyond a doubt that the chlorine savings FAR outweighed the 1part yellow OTO vs the 2 part red price difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, that made me spit my coffee onto my laptop.

Ditto! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I do OTO daily and FAS/DPD once weekly or so. Over the years, I have about learned just how much FC my pool uses so I find myself skipping the FAS/DPD test every now and then.

(Refill customers...PLEASE pay no attention to the above statement...I was temporarily deranged)

fas dpd every other day, my pool numbers are pretty consistent so I add a certain volume of bleach on the "off" days and then test every second day, I find this reduces major drops in chlorine levels between tests. The tests usually come in at expected/consistent levels.

chiefwej said:
OTO = daily test.
FAS-DPD = weekly test.

x2

OTO to make certain pool is chlorinated and hasn't dropped drastically for some unexpected reason; FAS-DPD "roughly" every week or so when I want to know exactly how much chlorine I have, or in case of a pool party or if I changed pump run-times/swg percentage, etc.

I've been keeping a log of my tests, for the most part I test 2-3 times weekly with DPD. If the weather changes then I will make sure to test.

I'm sure both temperature and sunlight have an effect, does temp effect chlorine usage more than sunlight?

DPD for routine checks. I find it pretty easy to tell right where I'm at, or at least close enough for government work. Maybe once a week with FAS-DPD, or when shocking (hoping I never have to do that again though!)

Richard320 said:
X-PertPool said:
one drop of OTO into the pool. ;-)
Since you're a pro, I figured you'd just scoop up a mouthful and swish it around.

Funny thing, when I've been swimming around patching above ground pools in the past I could tell the customer "do you only use the tablets (tri-chlor) for your chlorine". They would usually say yes and I knew this because I would get some of the pool water in my mouth and the water would be so acidic from the tabs that it would make my mouth and teeth feel dry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.