Just got my test kit

jenlop

Jul 4, 2011
Central Connecticut
So I've been battling green water for almost a year. Just when I think it's gone, it comes back. I think my problem is that I've added shock and not kept the chlorine level up high enough for a long enough amount of time. So I've kept adding chlorine most days this weekend/week and the algae looks to be dying. The water is still green, but not as cloudy and I can see some of the dead algae on the bottom. Here are my test readings:

FC 12
CC 0
TC 12
pH 7.2
T/A 90
CH 160
CYA 20

I've been using trichlor pucks and have a canister and a half left. I'd kinda like to use them up before I try the BBB method. I know they'll increase my CYA, but I assume I need to get it increased faster than that? Should I try to get my CYA level to something like 35 or 40 first, then see where it goes with the pucks and increase it more down the road if need be?

I was sorta surprised to see my pH that low. I thought it would read high while I was shocking. Should I just leave it for now until I'm doing shocking and see what it reads then?

Anything else I should do? The rest of the levels seem ok to me?

jen,

Don't worry about the pucks right now....put them away but they won't go to waste....promise. Then, just using Clorox, you must KEEP YOU FC AT SHOCK VALUE until your pool gets completely clear. For you shock value is around 10ppm so DON"T LET IT GO BELOW THAT.

Then run your pump 24/7, brush often and vacuum that dead algae off the bottom. Clean your filter frequently...watch for the pressure to rise 20% or so and then clean/backwash.

YOur self-diagnosis is almost surely correct....you haven't been keeping the chlorine in there consistently enough but that's all over with and you are ready to clean up your pool (aren't you? :mrgreen: )

KEEP YOUR CHLORINE UP. Don't let it get below 10ppm until your pool is crystal clear. You should see some improvement each day.

Once your pool is cleared and you have finished the shock process, we can address the other issues but there is nothing serious there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.