Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just got my test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Just got my test kit

So I've been battling green water for almost a year. Just when I think it's gone, it comes back. I think my problem is that I've added shock and not kept the chlorine level up high enough for a long enough amount of time. So I've kept adding chlorine most days this weekend/week and the algae looks to be dying. The water is still green, but not as cloudy and I can see some of the dead algae on the bottom. Here are my test readings:

FC 12
    CC 0
    TC 12
    pH 7.2
    T/A 90
    CH 160
    CYA 20

I've been using trichlor pucks and have a canister and a half left. I'd kinda like to use them up before I try the BBB method. I know they'll increase my CYA, but I assume I need to get it increased faster than that? Should I try to get my CYA level to something like 35 or 40 first, then see where it goes with the pucks and increase it more down the road if need be?

I was sorta surprised to see my pH that low. I thought it would read high while I was shocking. Should I just leave it for now until I'm doing shocking and see what it reads then?

Anything else I should do? The rest of the levels seem ok to me?
    24' round above ground pool, 13000 gallons, vinyl liner, Hayward 1 hp pump, sand filter. Extreme newbie - got pool in July 2010 and have battled problems since late July 2010. I vow to win the war though!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Just got my test kit

jen,

Don't worry about the pucks right now....put them away but they won't go to waste....promise. Then, just using Clorox, you must KEEP YOU FC AT SHOCK VALUE until your pool gets completely clear. For you shock value is around 10ppm so DON"T LET IT GO BELOW THAT.

Then run your pump 24/7, brush often and vacuum that dead algae off the bottom. Clean your filter frequently...watch for the pressure to rise 20% or so and then clean/backwash.

YOur self-diagnosis is almost surely correct....you haven't been keeping the chlorine in there consistently enough but that's all over with and you are ready to clean up your pool (aren't you? )

KEEP YOUR CHLORINE UP. Don't let it get below 10ppm until your pool is crystal clear. You should see some improvement each day.

Once your pool is cleared and you have finished the shock process, we can address the other issues but there is nothing serious there.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Cant stress enough not to let your FC level drop below 10. The better you are at maintaining that FC level the faster your pool will clear.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I was going to do an overnight chlorine usage test tonight. Should I wait? I took my pucks out to do this, but I'm thinking maybe I should just put them back in now and get some bleach tomorrow.
    24' round above ground pool, 13000 gallons, vinyl liner, Hayward 1 hp pump, sand filter. Extreme newbie - got pool in July 2010 and have battled problems since late July 2010. I vow to win the war though!

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, and YES!!! I'm SOOO ready to have a clean pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

The overnight test comes after the pool is clear. Keep pouring.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, thanks. I'll go put them back in. Tomorrow I'll get bottle of bleach.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jenlop
    You did mean "bottles" of bleach, right

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Quote Originally Posted by jenlop
    You did mean "bottles" of bleach, right

Welcome to the forum
    LOL, yes I did. When I saw my typo, I figured someone would get me on that! If only one bottle would do it.... ha ha