Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Crystal clear pool with no chlorine... Can't balance

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Crystal clear pool with no chlorine... Can't balance

Hi All,
    I have a 24' above ground pool i got installed about a month and a half ago. I filled the pool from my well and have a Zodiac sanitizer and chlorinator with a paper filter not sand. I have the zodiac cranked to max and i can't keep chlorine in for more than a day or two after i shock. My total alkalinity was high but my local pool place wanted me to fix the chlorine demand before we address the alkalinity. Last week they told me to put 13 bags of shock and that should take care of it, this week it's back down to zero and they want me to add 31 bags of shock (at $8 a bag, no way) to fix it but they can't guarantee it will fix it.

Here is my current chemistry they gave me.
    Saturation index 1
    TDS 700
    CYA 40
    total chlorine .2
    Free chlorine 0
    ph 8.2
    total alkalinity 211
    Adjusted total alkalinity 199
    total hardness 266
    optimizer + 0

My water is crystal clear and i'm at a loss. PLease, any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife grew up with a pool but this is my first.
    Thanks
    Scott
    24' AGP vinyl lined with deck surround.
    2hp Swim pro pump w/canister filter
    Zodiac Chlorinator and Sanitizer
    Hayward H150 heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Crystal clear pool with no chlorine... Can't bal

Have you run those numbers through the Pool Calculator www.poolcalculator.com ?

Adjust for your capacity at the top, and your pool surface, preferred chlorine source and preferred goals at the bottom. Enter your test levels in the "Now" column and hit "Calculate".

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You can fix your pool for almost nothing by learning how to manage and test your own water. Start by Reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Ask questions. Make sure that you understand chlorine is constantly being consumed in your pool and so must constantly be replenished

2. Lower your pH using muriatic acid down to 7.4 or so.

3. Starting tomorrow night, put a small jug of clorox in your pool in the evening and test to see if you have any chlorine left in the morning. report that result.

That'll help get you started and keep your pool clear while you make the decision to manage the pool yourself (you will need your own very good kit) or let the pool store "help" you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I wonder if the chlorine sample isn't bleaching out from high chlorine?

The best way to know is to test it yourself.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Dave,
    I added a gallon of Muriatic yesterday and got the ph down to 7.8. I also added a gallon clorox and the chlorine was between 5-10 on the strip last night and the same this morning. Total alklinity was down slightly but still high.
    I'm using the strips right now (I know not accurate i need a real test kit). Which test kit do you recommend?
    Thanks
    Scott
    Hayward H150 heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by sectn8
    Hi Dave,
    I added a gallon of Muriatic yesterday and got the ph down to 7.8. I also added a gallon clorox and the chlorine was between 5-10 on the strip last night and the same this morning. Total alklinity was down slightly but still high.
    I'm using the strips right now (I know not accurate i need a real test kit). Which test kit do you recommend?
    Thanks
    Scott
    Well, the fav test kit around here is the TF100. It is the best bang for the buck (you can do more tests), has quality Taylor reagents and super service!
    Also, http://www.TFTestKits.Net is owned by Dave, a/k/a duraleigh. He also owns this site, http://www.TroubleFreePool.com

The best investment we made in our pool was a good test kit. Period.

Here's a link from Pool School where recommended test kits are compared: pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Butterfly, I just ordered one.
    Hayward H150 heater

8. Back To Top    #8

If indeed the chlorine is high and bleaching out the test, that could also be causing your high, possibly innacurate, pH numbers. You need to be sure before you continue the muratic acid treatments.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Hello sectn8!

Do you have power out there in McHenry IL? I'm formerly from Hebron, and my family is currently without electricity since Monday am. (Going out there next week, and will hit the Cubs game Wednesday. Riding the train in.)

What exactly is a Zodiac sanitizer? Is this the new name for mineral/iron cartridges?
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi Cary,
    We do have power after 25 hours. Luckily i had a pool so i could get water to flush my toilets lol. There are still places around here that don't have power but they say they should be up by the end of today.

The Zodiac system is a system that has chlorine cartridges that you can dial up and down to control the amount of chlorine entering the pool and it also has a copper sulfate and silver mineral cartridge that sanitizes the water as it passes through. Here is a link to it. http://www.nature2.com/poolproducts/ing ... ogplus.asp
    Hayward H150 heater

11. Back To Top    #11

You really should read the stuff about alternative sanitizers and stop and think about whether you want to continue that route.

The Zodiac system uses Trichlor whic also adds CYA to your pool.

Once you get the good test kit post the results for us.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit