Salt Cell Sizing

Dalandlord

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2011
I have an autopilot DIG-220 with a SC-36 cell (5 blade cell). The cell is on the way out and I am going to replace it soon. The SC-36 has kept up with my pool but I run it hard. I have been told by a few sales people that buying a larger cell will extend the life of it as I can run it at a lower %.

My question is: Is there any down side to over sizing the cell? I know some people worry about losing fine control, but I don't know if that will be a problem as the DIG-220 has three power levels from 0-100% each. Being a basically impatient guy it would be nice to raise the FC lever in a hurry if I choose. I am going to either buy the SC-48 (7 blade cell) or SC-60 (13 blade cell), or whatever is the current equivalent model number. I think they have changed the model numbers. What do you guys think, the 48 or the 60?

Thanks

I recommend using cells that are designed for pools between 2 and 3 times as large as your pool actually is, maybe even a little larger. But I wouldn't try an SC-60 on a 10,800 gallon pool, as you will have the percentage turned way way down and won't have much control and will probably run into problems with the automatic temperature compensation system. When the percentage goes too low, even changing it by 1 is a huge difference. I have a 19,000 gallon pool and an SC-60 and I get down to 8% or 9% on power level 1 in the spring or fall and that starts to get inefficient.

As it happens, with AutoPilot cells the SC-36 is a better value these days than the larger cells.

Ok I'll forget about the SC-60 for sure then. Do you think the sc-48 is still too big that I will have problems at the low end of the range? Maybe I am forgetting how good the sc 36 worked when new.

One other question Jason, if you don't mind. I have been told or read someplace recently that when the Fc level is high it can cause the Ph reading to be false and you should wait till the FC to come down to check it and adjust it. If this is true, at what FC level should I check the Ph? Is 5 too high?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.