Is it possible to replace gaskets on a skimmer on an IGVLP?

Jul 12, 2011
Central Jersey
For an in ground vinyl lined pool, is it possible to DIY a gasket replacement? I have Hayward SP1084 skimmers. One of the skimmers is exhibiting rust stains and leaks. The liner is only 8 years old and is in good shape. Is it possible to drain the water down a bit, say winterizing depth, and then unscrew the skimmer plate and replace the gaskets and screws with new parts? Anyone ever tried that? I contacted a local pool service company, and they're pushing a full $500 leak test, and then they'll repair everything they find for additional cost. All I want are the gaskets and screws replaced on one skimmer. It's only $30 or so in parts, and I'd do it myself if I knew the liner wouldn't pull, but I've never done it before, and I don't know if that's a legit risk for an 8 year old liner.

Re: Is it possible to replace gaskets on a skimmer on an IGV

Supply house gave me some tips. Loosen all screws a little prior to removal, keep at least one screw in a lower corner and swing the face plate up and out of the way, get screws in temporarily on the other corners, clean off the old gasket quickly, take off the faceplate, and replace in the opposite order. Whatever you do, don't leave the liner hanging there without some screws in the holes. Also, the older the liner, the more likely everything will be ok. I'll let you know how it goes. He also said the stainless screws could also be corroding and giving the rust stains, so my first step will be removing the worst screw (as far as staining is concerned, which is odd) and checking it out.

I didn't put any water in the pool the last 48 hours. Water is down to the jets. So even though I think the skimmer gasket needs to get replaced, I also think the leaks in the steps are worse than I thought. Heading into the pool now, to recheck the steps and the old patch. I bought a syringe of dye. Maybe it will work better than the bottle of food coloring I was using.

Rub a dub dub, wish me luck in the tub.

Re: Is it possible to replace gaskets on a skimmer on an IGV

That was easy. Liner didn't move at all. Definitely had a bad gasket, though.

I'm at the limit of my ability, though. I'm going to patch the little cracks in the steps, but I scheduled a diver to come out and double check the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.