Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Missing tiles

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Missing tiles

Hi all!

I have a few missing tiles at just above the water line and i can see the thinset which used to be behind the tiles...

Can i just goop on more thin set and stick on new tiles or are there any other things I need to be aware of?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Replacing Missing tiles

Grind off the existing thinset or you will have difficulty making the "re-glued" tiles level with the adjacent ones
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, make sure to grind or chip out the old thinset, otherwise you either wont get the new tile level, or you wont use enough thinset to actually glue it in.

Also, good idea to butter the back of the tile too, it will stick better in the thinset. I've seen too many tile jobs have tiles come loose from people laying tile without applying any thinset to the back of the tile. The "buttering" of the tile is just apply thinset to the back of the tile and scrape off most of it, just to give a very thin smooth coat on the back of it to promote good adhesion.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

4. Back To Top    #4

Reviving this thread since I haven't done anything for the missing tiles. Can someone identify this tile? I havent been able to find a match or something even close...

[Edit] I cant seem to be able to upload a picture of the tile...
    Last edited by Suley; 07-20-2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: cant upload picture
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.