new house new (old pool)

hello all,

i'll be moving into a house that has a chlorine pool.. And my questions are, since i don't have a test kit right now, what should i do the first when i get my pool? Do i just grab some water and bring it to the pool store? do you think they will test it for free?

Do people usually not keep up with pool maintance when selling their house? do you think it will be fine to swim on closing day?

I want to use the BBB method. I've done a little bit of reading on here. Is it pretty straight forward? no draining needed? or do i just wait for the test kit? the unfortuante part is that i'm in canada and the dealers are not playing nice for the taylor 2006 kit.. nobody will return my calls!

Is there anything else i should be doing to the pool/equipment? i'm thkning of getting a solar blanket soon..

There's a jacuzzi laser 225 sand filter, a aqua lamp instrusties box that i have no idea what it does, purex triton minimax plus 250m, and a jacuzzi pump. Size is 30' x 15' x 8'
Is this equipment ok?

Thanks!

The best thing you can do short term is take a sample to the pool store and let them test it. Then come back and post the results here. I doubt it would be a good idea to swim unless they've been taking care of it but the tests will tell. Also tell us how the water looks.

Welcome to TFP!

justsayin in the post above has your source for a Taylor K-2006 up there in the Great White North. It's the only game around and unfortunately, it will cost a lot more there than it would down here. The K-2006 is a really good kit though.

Sometimes we hear that the pool is neglected between deal and close but not often. So many pools are not owner maintained, typically it is still treated as it was before. Foreclosures are different but owners in good shape avoid the embarassment of the neighbors hearing about neglect.
My house was hit by hurricane as we were dealing and the pool, black after 2 weeks no power, was pristine by act of sale date. I know they continued to show that house up until they handed me the keys.

The minute I signed the papers on this house it went from sparkling to green. The previous owners were using a pool guy, but they used liquid chlorine and watched the chemicals properly, which made what happened next easier to deal with... When I got the keys, I had a nice outbreak of mustard algae waiting on me.

Your starting better then I did. Bought my house 2yrs ago and listened to the previous owners and pool store. I've learned more in the last few weeks here then in the last couple of years. I just bought the TF-100 kit, it arrived in a couple of days and seems to be well put together. Being uneducated, I was previously using test strips. One thing I did when I got my pool, was change the sand in filter. I didn't know how long it was in there or if it was ever changed. Have read the life on sand is normally approx 7yrs

I'm one of those that believes sand doesn't have a life span. My filter was installed in 89 (they left receipts) and there was no evidence of the sand ever being changed. My laterals or something failed, and I decided given the age of the filter I'd replace the whole thing. I can't see a bit of difference between the old sand and the new sand. Someone has a comparison under a microscope, it's still not noticeable. Jason says the only reason you should have to change sand is if it's heavily calcium scaled.

i was talking to a seller of the taylor kits and she is trying to tell me i don't have to test CH often... she is kinda not wanting me to buy a taylor 2006 kit?

Should i just buy the smaller kits to test for fc, cya, and the other things?

Can somebody let me know asap.. i'm on the road to the place now.. 1.5 hrs away.

THANKS!!!

i think she recommned k1515 but i could be wrong.

should i just buy what she is recommending and get the CH tests at the local pool store?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Im new to test kits but will try to help. I would look at the price difference between them, wouldnt think it would be much. Also in my experience when I dont think I.need something there comes.a day when I.need it. If it were me I wouldnt buy individual reagents, I would think kits are cheaper.but.cant say for sure without comparing. Also kits hav a tackle box to maintain all the components and are complete with all u need. If it were me I would spend the extra $20 or so and get everything and piece of mind. Just my opinion

Got the test done.

Was told to add stabilizer 100. 2.68 kgs (cya)
Add 0.53 kg lo n slo
Add 5.97 k/ boiguard balance pak 300
Add 0.92 kg power chlor
Add 0.69 litres of algae inhibitor

Pool Volune 76,455L
Vinly

Water temp approx
75 f
Tds 800
Stabilizer 0

Sanatizer
Total 0
Free 0
Ph : 8.2
Acid ; 2
Ta 170
Adj ta 170
Ch 130
Optimizer 0
Copper 0
Iron 0
Mang 0
Quat 0
Algae none
Clairty clear

I haven't added anything yet I think ill add 1 puck of chlorine????

The pool is still blue and clear..

I bought the cya..

Help please

My mistake was listening to pool store for over a year. Did you get your test kit? Your better off doing your own test. You can take the values the pool store gave you and plug them into the pool calculator in pool school, it will tell you how much to add. Stay away from the "pucks" if you can. If your picks are tri chlor theu will be good at first to raise your cya, after cya values are up stop using them if possible or you will more then likely be doing a half drain on ur pool annualy. This is something pool store did not tell me and I learned here, read how to clorinate your pool in pool school.

You will wnt to lower your ph to approx 7.5, use muratic acid
Take ta to 120, lower ph first because it will lower your ta. Pool school tells you the process bettr then I can remember of top of my head.
Sounds like everything they told u to buy except cya, is a waste of money. Are u going to use the bbb method?

I wouldnt say it was a mistake. Howevet I wouldnt put any more tablets in, I would wait until u know what ur cya is at. They say wait about a week for it to stabilze then check it. I would use ur granulars to bring ur fc up and also start working on ur ph, remember your ta will drop with ur ph. Also what r u putting ur tablets in, ur not suppose to use ur skimmer as it is highly corrosive. Cant tell u from experience, just what iv read

rowdy93 said:
I wouldnt say it was a mistake. Howevet I wouldnt put any more tablets in, I would wait until u know what ur cya is at. They say wait about a week for it to stabilze then check it. I would use ur granulars to bring ur fc up and also start working on ur ph, remember your ta will drop with ur ph. Also what r u putting ur tablets in, ur not suppose to use ur skimmer as it is highly corrosive. Cant tell u from experience, just what iv read

The pool store told me it's ok to add in the skimmer... I will avoid the pucks now. I'll use the calculator to figure out the granulars and just throw it in?

I'm seeing some black stuff on the seams of the liner and I can get them clean with kreepy, I don't think it's Algee?

I'm ordering the test kit tomorrow morning and hopefully have it by the weekend. The poool is still blue. Is it ok to wait for the test kit and not add anything?

Thanks for all your help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.