Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much debris!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much debris!!!

New member. Don't know if this is the right forum but I think its a related topic.

I live in NorCal and I have several scrub oak trees near my pool. The leaves from the oak drift into my pool causing a lot of floating leaves which if not skimmed up in a few hours, sink to the bottom of my in ground pool. If it is not a windy day, usually a manual skim with a net is all that is needed. If it is a windy day, well its just way too much for my skimmer and Polaris to handle.

I only have one skimmer in the pool and I don't know what I can do to make it more efficient. If it was "superpowered" then the debris on the bottom of the pool would be quite minimal. The leaves are quite boyant and don't sink for several hours. Unfortunately I work 12 hour shifts so by the time i get home the leaves that the skimmer doesn't get are on the bottom.

I have considered pool cover but frankly I think those are ugly. Maybe a not so fine netting but I don't know where to get some in the dimensions that I would need (pool is about 16x35). Alternately is there something on the market that works as a second skimmer?

Open to all ideas. BTW thanks for all the good info on this site. It has made pool ownership quite easy.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much debris!!!

Try a pool skim, hooks up to a return and acts like a second skimmer...
    http://www.circledspecialties.com

44,000 IG Salt Pool - Pentair VF, Quad 100, Polaris 280, IC60, 400 Mater Temp

3. Back To Top    #3

The first thing you should do is make sure your eyeball is aimed correctly. It takes a good bit of fiddling with to get it right sometimes. Then there's the poolskim, which has been getting some very good reviews on here.

ETA - Circle-D beat me to it, but that's the one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Leaf net covers are available. I've seen them offered at online pool stores, usually you can specify dimensions.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

How about the motor boat powered skimmer from the pool store? Looks like fun.

I trust you also have a leaf rake?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The first thing you should do is make sure your eyeball is aimed correctly. It takes a good bit of fiddling with to get it right sometimes. Then there's the poolskim, which has been getting some very good reviews on here.

ETA - Circle-D beat me to it, but that's the one.
    Uh eyeball? Whats that?

Also I don't think the pool skim will work since my returns are in my hot tub and the water flows down via gravity into my pool. But thanks for the idea.
    I guess I could modify the skimmer to work off a submersible pump. I think I have a 50gpm pond pump laying around in my garage maybe I could cobble together something.

7. Back To Top    #7

The skimmers are actually on the suction side. If you put it on the return it would just blow everything out. :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    The skimmers are actually on the suction side. If you put it on the return it would just blow everything out. :~}
    Oh, well in that case, it definitely wont work. The only suction I have is on the skimmer and on the main drain area.

9. Back To Top    #9

Are you sure that there are no returns in your pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Are you sure that there are no returns in your pool?
    I have popups , a main drain , a gravity flow from my spa and a outlet for my polaris.