Low salt and chlorine - Help

Had water tested at a local shop today (9:30 am sample):

TA: 120
    pH: 7.2
    Ca: 350
    CYA: 77
    FC: 0.0
    NaCl: 2100

Since the testing, I added 3 bags of salt. I want to get the level up to at least get the SWG operational. Right now it is giving me the check salt light. I added 240lbs over the weekend which didn't do enough. Trying to add slowly as I don't want to drain and come back down.

Since my FC is at 0, should I add bleach to the pool or let the SWG try to catch up once it becomes operational? If I add bleach, do I bring the level up to 3-5 for the SWG or to 4-7 for the bleach recommended settings?

Should I go ahead and correct the pH now? I know TA is a little high... I think this may auto correct with aeration once the SWG gets going?

I think the remainder is ok for now. Once I get my tester in the mail and get the SWG and FC balanced, I think I can fine tune those a little. Agreed?

Lady at pool shop tried to sell me Clear Water Algae control to add with the granular chlorine she wants me to add. Is this a recommended product? Necessary? I didn't think it was, so I didn't buy.

Whew...I hope that's all. Nope, I do have algae growth on the steps which I brushed off and a polaris running which should help stir the salt.
    25k gallon rectangular, Cartridge filtered
    New AquaRite T-15 cell and board
    IG Plaster, No idea of pump size/flow rate
    TF-100 kit with the K-1776 salt kit
    Polaris 280
    Still learning, but I've been to pool school!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low salt and chlorine - Help

PH is good since TA is a bit on the high side for a SWG. Add enough Bleach to get to the 4-7 range, untile the SWG can kick back in.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Do I need to bring it up to shock FC level? Should I keep it there until it clears up? 30 seems awfully high to me, but it is pretty cloudy
    Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yes, you need to shock the pool. Don't do it as a one time dose but do it (with liquid chlorine) by following the step by step directions found in the article in Pool School "How to Shock Your Pool".

30ppm chlorine is not too much with your CYA where it is.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Remember that the SWG can take 24 to 48 hours to fully settle down and display the salt level correctly after you add salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I will be out of town for the weekend. Should I wait to "shock" until after that or go ahead and treat it now, trying to hold it at 30 through Friday night then giving it attention again Sunday night?
    Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd wait. Too easy to have FC go low and all the progress made is undone. Give the SWG a chance to get going with salt as well if it is on now.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

It may be too late, and not to contradict Anona's advice because it's good, BUT, if the swg is operating now I'd bring it to shock level and leave the swg on while you're gone. However, if the cell still isn't producing I wouldn't worry about shocking till you return.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit