Getting rid of Trichlor Pucks

fordfampool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2011
Wisconsin
We have two floaters in our pool with about 5 half-dissolved trichlor pucks each. We bought the pucks before we found TFP and would like to use them up as much as we can - so we have been using them carefully so far this summer.

This morning my CYA read 50 (up from 41 a week ago). I think we need to take the pucks out (we want to be able to use them when we are gone next month for a week).

What do you do with half used pucks? On the tub it says not to take out of the pool for more than 5 minutes - but we just want them out and to possibly switch to adding bleach.

Thanks for any tips!
Sarah

With your CYA where it is, would be best to simply get rid of the trichlor entirely and start using straight bleach. No harm in switching over at any time. Be sure to use the invaluable Pool Calculator to know the amounts to use for your pool.

What would you do with the remaining pucks that are in the water right now - throw them away? Save them for later? I don't know if there is a safety concern or not. The container says not to take them out of the water for more than 5 minutes, but it doesn't explain why - so I am left wondering why and what to do now.

Thanks!! :)
Sarah

Take them out and put them in a plastic bucket and let them dry. They'll be fine. I used a sheet rock bucket because it had a lid on it so try to find something with a lid. No metal.

Stab in the dark here as I do not know your landscape, but I chlorinate a small pond with them (no fish, no filter). There is a submersible pump in there, and I turn it on once a day to circulate. Pond doesn't go green or funky, that's all I'm trying to accomplish. :~}

Oh, and we also use it in the foot wash pool, but there's a better chance that inground pool owners have fishless ponds than a need for a kiddie pool to wash feet. Concrete surrounding a pool is a fabulous invention, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.