Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting rid of Trichlor Pucks

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting rid of Trichlor Pucks

We have two floaters in our pool with about 5 half-dissolved trichlor pucks each. We bought the pucks before we found TFP and would like to use them up as much as we can - so we have been using them carefully so far this summer.

This morning my CYA read 50 (up from 41 a week ago). I think we need to take the pucks out (we want to be able to use them when we are gone next month for a week).

What do you do with half used pucks? On the tub it says not to take out of the pool for more than 5 minutes - but we just want them out and to possibly switch to adding bleach.

Thanks for any tips!
    Sarah
    loc: WI ~24k gal vinyl w/fiberglass steps, 18ft x 38ft, 3.5ft shallow(90deg floor to walls)-8ft deep end(floor to 45deg wall to vert wall), 300lb sand filter, chlorine (liquid shock and trichlor). Skim in middle, single main, two returns facing away from skimmer and towards the surface a bit. Sarah and Mike. We are new pool owners - it came with the house!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting rid of Trichlor Pucks

Not sure if I should include this info:

FC 3.5
    ph 7.2
    CC .5
    CH 250
    TA 127
    CYA 50
    loc: WI ~24k gal vinyl w/fiberglass steps, 18ft x 38ft, 3.5ft shallow(90deg floor to walls)-8ft deep end(floor to 45deg wall to vert wall), 300lb sand filter, chlorine (liquid shock and trichlor). Skim in middle, single main, two returns facing away from skimmer and towards the surface a bit. Sarah and Mike. We are new pool owners - it came with the house!

3. Back To Top    #3

With your CYA where it is, would be best to simply get rid of the trichlor entirely and start using straight bleach. No harm in switching over at any time. Be sure to use the invaluable Pool Calculator to know the amounts to use for your pool.
    Chris A.
    20x40 36k gal IG vinyl pool w/diving board & slide | 1.25HP Pentair Challenger motor & pump | 30" Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair SM-20-3 multiport | Stenner 45MHP2 Peristaltic Pump & 13 gallon carboy (BBB) | Hayward CL200 Tablet Chlorinator (used on pool startup) | TF-100 | 2003 Sundance 850 Altamar hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

What would you do with the remaining pucks that are in the water right now - throw them away? Save them for later? I don't know if there is a safety concern or not. The container says not to take them out of the water for more than 5 minutes, but it doesn't explain why - so I am left wondering why and what to do now.

Thanks!!
    Sarah

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Take them out and put them in a plastic bucket and let them dry. They'll be fine. I used a sheet rock bucket because it had a lid on it so try to find something with a lid. No metal.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I keep an empty original container just in case I need to take the tablets out for some reason.

I've never had to do this, but I imagine that you will want to let them dry somewhere well ventilated.
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay! I will put them in a bucket. Thanks so much!

8. Back To Top    #8

Stab in the dark here as I do not know your landscape, but I chlorinate a small pond with them (no fish, no filter). There is a submersible pump in there, and I turn it on once a day to circulate. Pond doesn't go green or funky, that's all I'm trying to accomplish. :~}

Oh, and we also use it in the foot wash pool, but there's a better chance that inground pool owners have fishless ponds than a need for a kiddie pool to wash feet. Concrete surrounding a pool is a fabulous invention, lol.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.