Pre Borate:

FC 3.0
    TC 3.0
    PH 7.6
    TA 80
    TH 120
    CYA 50
    BOR 0

Pool is 26000 gallons, Added 19 Boxes 76oz Mule Team Borax (Wally world guy gave me an interesting look) Added 6 Gallons MA, checked ph an hour later still 8.2, added another gallon, no change, added another gallon late last night. Pool is still at 8.0. This is gonna take at least 2-3 more gallons of MA? Where did I go wrong? I thought the 6 gallons of MA was a tad bit more than the pool calc said?

Loving these discussions....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Woooooo Borates

Make sure your MA is full strength, around 31%. There is 14% MA sold as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Makes sense. No wonder it always takes so much more than my test kit says... Must be the 14% stuff. I buy it at Home Depot...

4. Back To Top    #4

Look up the MSDS for the product. The only muriatic acid sold at the big box stores in our area is <25%. The bottle label does not say this but the MSDS did.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

It says "14.7%" right on the box... Duh... guess I'll have to check the local pool store out...

6. Back To Top    #6

lol well hey, at least you can use the calculator. There's a 28% choice listed, it should give you fairly accurate dosing. At <25% it's a math person's game adjusting what the calculator tells us to add.

Me... English/Literature

H... Math

I read the instructions, he does the calculations thank you very much!
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

7. Back To Top    #7

Found some 29% at the local pool store...

Latest numbers...

FC 5.0
    TC 5.0
    PH 7.2
    TA 60
    CYA 50
    CH 130

Now on to tackling the calcium scaling. Gonna ride the 7.0 train for a while... Sequestering agent or no?

F

8. Back To Top    #8

If they would have had it, I would have gotten 36 boxes of Borax at one store. Even splitting it up into two stores was still pretty funny. They asked me if I owned a dry cleaners.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Adding sequestrant usually helps remove calcium scale, though it can still go very slowly anyway.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Any suggestions on what to use... United chem, leslies.. Jacks....?..

11. Back To Top    #11

ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

FYI, most paint sections in the big box hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Southern States, etc.) are now selling "Safer Muriatic Acid" from a company called Klean-Strip Green ... according to the MSDS (PDF File link) , it has "<25.0 %" concentration of MA ... no idea how that translates into calculations, but I opted to buy a 4 pack case of Crown brand MA that is the 31.45%
    16,000 gallon 27'x52" Above Ground Pool
    Hayward XStream CC1000 Filter w/1HP Pump (hard plumbed)
    My Build Thread

13. Back To Top    #13

There's really nothing wrong with using the 15% Muriatic Acid if the price is reasonable (i.e. about half that of the 31.45% Muriatic Acid). The main advantage with the lower concentration is that it fumes a lot less.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

But it's "<25%"

Doesn't translate w/pool calc very well. Some of us suck at math yano...

(realizes people have lives and adding <25% to pool calculator might not happen any time soon)

15. Back To Top    #15

I hate having to store so much so I was happy to find the 29% stuff in town....

Adding sequestrant usually helps remove calcium scale, though it can still go very slowly anyway.
    You mean the scale will dissolve anyways? Or the scale will take a long time to dissolve even with the sequestering agent?

16. Back To Top    #16

Everything below is in error, my mistake!

Thought I would just post this here, it should work.

So your options of MA are 25% and 31%.

The calculator says you need 339 oz of 31%

You see that there is a 6% difference in acid levels between what is on hand and what the calculator calls for.

In this case, you would take 339 oz x 1.06 = 359 oz needed of the 25% to meet the same requirements of the 31%.

If you have 14% acid on hand, you would multiply x 1.17. Because there is a 17% difference between 14% and 31%.

14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair IntelliFlo <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly Classic <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder

17. Back To Top    #17

I just wanted to chime in and praise the borates in my pool. Prior to adding borates, my PH was drifting upward daily! So, after having the pool up and running for 2 weeks, I added borates. That was almost 3 weeks ago now and my PH has been rock solid! The only adjustment I have had to make is to aerate after heavy rains lowered my PH from 7.5 to 7.2. Occasional top offs with tap water have raised the TA, but I have lowered it to 80 with the addition of a little MA and aerating. Pool is super stable now!
    16,000 gallon 27'x52" Above Ground Pool
    Hayward XStream CC1000 Filter w/1HP Pump (hard plumbed)
    My Build Thread

18. Back To Top    #18

Um, to convert from a quantity for 31% acid to a quantity for 25% acid you need to multiply by 31/25 or 1.24.

It takes a long time for scale to dissolve under the best of circumstances, and even then it doesn't always dissolve.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Um, to convert from a quantity for 31% acid to a quantity for 25% acid you need to multiply by 31/25 or 1.24.

It takes a long time for scale to dissolve under the best of circumstances, and even then it doesn't always dissolve.
    You're correct, my mistake.

Too late for Math class obviously!

I'll edit my post pointing out the error.
    14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair IntelliFlo <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly Classic <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder