New Pool owner pump question

digit

Jul 13, 2011
I just got a 15x48 intex pool. Got the standard pump it comes with. Bought a the intex saltwater kit also.

Can I use the standard pump with another standard pump? Hook them together to improve flow? Or should I just go buy a different one?

Without knowing the answer exactly, I think you would have little luck hooking up two regular pumps in series. If one was a booster pump design, you could perhaps make that work but it still probably wouldn't be very cost effective. You just need a larger, better pump.

You can improve the flow with a second pump, but not necessarily much can be done about the filtering. With two pumps, I get more time out of the filters, and great flow but the fine particles that drop from the air still fall to the bottom of the pool.

You can't connect the pumps in series, it will not increase flow this way (flow would be the same even if you could). To use two pumps, one has it's hoses draped over the side of the pool, bungees hold them in place and the suction end has to be weighted down else it will rise and suck air. This method does increase water flow in the pool very well.

If you have an extra pump on hand, I'd say go for the double pump setup but if you plan to go buy a new small pump (same as what you have), I'd say don't bother and get something better for a little more $.

I'm not too clear on what kind of better pump/filter would be a better alternative due to the fact that the filters themselves aren't so great. I have plenty of flow with this hokey setup which is about what I'd get if I upgraded to a bigger Intex pump that would have the same filter. If you're only looking to increase flow however, the larger Intex pump will work to do that and then you'll have an extra pump to drape over the side if you want.

The Intex sand filter looks promising, yet it is said that sand filters don't pick up the fines either. I remain undecided on this.

frogabog said:
To use two pumps, one has it's hoses draped over the side of the pool, bungees hold them in place and the suction end has to be weighted down else it will rise and suck air. This method does increase water flow in the pool very well.
I temporally hooked a second pump/filter up and just hung the return lines over the edge but used both valves for the inlets. This way both pumps stay primed and never suck air.

Running pumps in parallel like that is not a good idea unless they are exactly matched in size. Usually the back pressure from the larger pump keeps the smaller pump from contributing anything and you just waste electricity. Similarly, you never want to run pumps in series (ignoring booster pumps used for pool cleaners), because again you will be wasting a lot of electricity.

The 2,500 GPM pump is much better than the 1,500 GPM pump. Anything larger than what you have now will help, but I wouldn't bother with the 1,500 GPM pump. Personally, I would go straight to one of the Intex sand filter systems, which are way way better than any of their cartridge filters, but it is a bit more money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I too used 1 50lb bag of sand. Brought the level just above the minimum fill line. Took the $10 another bag of sand would have cost and bought a small box of DE. Added 2 cups of DE to my thru-wall skimmer on start up. I think this will help filter more than 5 lbs of sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.