Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool owner pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool owner pump question

I just got a 15x48 intex pool. Got the standard pump it comes with. Bought a the intex saltwater kit also.

Can I use the standard pump with another standard pump? Hook them together to improve flow? Or should I just go buy a different one?
    South Texas - Water is always warm!
    16x48 Intex Metal Frame Pool
    Intex Krystal Clear 637R
    Intex Saltwater System CS8110
    (extra pump not using right now Intex 603)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Pool owner pump question

Without knowing the answer exactly, I think you would have little luck hooking up two regular pumps in series. If one was a booster pump design, you could perhaps make that work but it still probably wouldn't be very cost effective. You just need a larger, better pump.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What would you recommend? Nothing to pricey though.
    Intex Krystal Clear 637R

4. Back To Top    #4

You can improve the flow with a second pump, but not necessarily much can be done about the filtering. With two pumps, I get more time out of the filters, and great flow but the fine particles that drop from the air still fall to the bottom of the pool.

You can't connect the pumps in series, it will not increase flow this way (flow would be the same even if you could). To use two pumps, one has it's hoses draped over the side of the pool, bungees hold them in place and the suction end has to be weighted down else it will rise and suck air. This method does increase water flow in the pool very well.

If you have an extra pump on hand, I'd say go for the double pump setup but if you plan to go buy a new small pump (same as what you have), I'd say don't bother and get something better for a little more $.

I'm not too clear on what kind of better pump/filter would be a better alternative due to the fact that the filters themselves aren't so great. I have plenty of flow with this hokey setup which is about what I'd get if I upgraded to a bigger Intex pump that would have the same filter. If you're only looking to increase flow however, the larger Intex pump will work to do that and then you'll have an extra pump to drape over the side if you want.

The Intex sand filter looks promising, yet it is said that sand filters don't pick up the fines either. I remain undecided on this.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    To use two pumps, one has it's hoses draped over the side of the pool, bungees hold them in place and the suction end has to be weighted down else it will rise and suck air. This method does increase water flow in the pool very well.
    I temporally hooked a second pump/filter up and just hung the return lines over the edge but used both valves for the inlets. This way both pumps stay primed and never suck air.
    8K gallon Kidney shape 12 X 24 IG gunite with 6 foot raised Spa and waterfall
    IntelliChlor IC20, PCC 2000 In-Floor Cleaning system, Cartridge Filter, 2 HP WhisperFlo Pump
    Easy Touch Control and Load center with Quick Touch Wireless remote
    Amerlite and SpaBrite lights

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh, good idea! Never thought about doing it that way. Does it move the water well like that?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

7. Back To Top    #7

Would it be wise to get a 1-2 pvc connector and run the pumps next to each other than a 2-1 connector to the intex saltwater unit.
    Intex Krystal Clear 637R

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but in this topic another forum member has installed 2 intex pumps for their pool.

Intex 1000 GPH pump vs. 2500 GPH is like night and day

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

9. Back To Top    #9

How about the Intex 56635E 1,500-Gallon Filter Pump would it be worth it upgrade to that one?
    Intex Krystal Clear 637R

10. Back To Top    #10

Running pumps in parallel like that is not a good idea unless they are exactly matched in size. Usually the back pressure from the larger pump keeps the smaller pump from contributing anything and you just waste electricity. Similarly, you never want to run pumps in series (ignoring booster pumps used for pool cleaners), because again you will be wasting a lot of electricity.

The 2,500 GPM pump is much better than the 1,500 GPM pump. Anything larger than what you have now will help, but I wouldn't bother with the 1,500 GPM pump. Personally, I would go straight to one of the Intex sand filter systems, which are way way better than any of their cartridge filters, but it is a bit more money.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah, i am only wanting to spend about 100$
    Intex Krystal Clear 637R

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by digit
    Yeah, i am only wanting to spend about 100$
    Have you seen this thread? http://www.troublefreepool.com/free-...ml?hilit=intex You could sell the saltwater system on ebay or craigslist and have the filter and a $50 Wal-Mart gift card for very little money.
    18'x48" Intex metal frame pool, 1600 Intex sand filer/pump combo, Intex SWCG.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sweet! just picked it up. Just bought my saltwater system from toys r us, so I will just return it there!
    Intex Krystal Clear 637R

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok I just got my Intex Sand Filter today. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Bundle/17013275 the problem is that the max fill and min fill is upside down. The book says 55 lbs, I put 1 50lb bag in and it looks about half full. Is that normal?
    Intex Krystal Clear 637R

15. Back To Top    #15

I too used 1 50lb bag of sand. Brought the level just above the minimum fill line. Took the $10 another bag of sand would have cost and bought a small box of DE. Added 2 cups of DE to my thru-wall skimmer on start up. I think this will help filter more than 5 lbs of sand.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker