Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Outdoor Shower- Do I need it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Outdoor Shower- Do I need it?

We are currently waiting on the tile installers so I have about a 10 day wait during our construction phase. I am contemplating an outdoor shower for around the pool and would like your comments/ concerns about the installation:

1.Do they get used enough to justify?
    2.Are you plumbed with hot & cold water or cold only?
    3.If you didn't install one, now do you wish you had?

Just looking for some opinions. If I am going to install the shower, now would be the time to get the plumbing in order before decking goes in. Thanks for your thoughts on the idea.

Greenhaw
    Freeform Gunite, 21K Gallons, Gray Plaster, 570 sq. ft., 106 Perimeter.
    Pentair- VS 3050, Intellichlor IC-40, 520 sq. ft Cartridge Filter, Intellibrite LED.
    Sun Touch Controller, Legend Platinum Cleaner with Pentair 1.5 hp Booster Pump.
    2- Bubblers & 2- Deck Jets. Autofill & Overflow. TF-100-Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Outdoor Shower- Do I need it?

Out here is Riverside County it is apparrently a PITA to get permits for the outdoor shower. I think it has to do with the drain and run-off. Check on that too.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

3. Back To Top    #3

We just finished up, and did not do an outdoor shower. We did do a garden spicket near the equipment, but in all honesty, its mainly for a foot wash. I think the PB tied it in with the auto-leveler line, so it didn't cost us a dime to add the spicket (I think the PB said it was a $2.00 valve or something like that). No regrets on the shower from us. Don't see it getting used too terribly much.

We use that now more than I thought we would, especially since we are trying to get our grass to re-grow back there.
    IG ~12,500 gallon, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Wetedge Luna Quartz plaster (Pacific/Aruba), Pool Pump: 1.0 HP Tristar by Hayward, Waterfall Pump: 1.0 HP Super II by Hayward

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't get one. That's just one more chance to freeze and rupture a pipe in the wintertime.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have had a cold water outdoor shower poolside for 4 years now, and it never gets used, even on scorcher days when it might feel nice. Do you want your guests to shower before swimming? Install one and ask them to use it before diving in-they will probably be offended and not come back.

Generally, as long as your water is clear and free of CCs, most people will just shower at home.

So, unless you have unhygienic friends, I wouldn't worry too much about a shower.
    20k gal. 36' In ground Med. Blue plaster, two-speed EcoPump EP6, Pentair 3.14 sq. Ft. Sand w/zeosand, Spectralight SL 500, RayPak 2100 heater, Polaris 360,GE Timer 15087, Borates 80 ppm.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I have a Tahiti Shower. It just hooks up to the hose bib. Has a wood base and cold water only. Since mine is a salt pool some people like to use it to rinse of with clear water after the pool. Although I have and use it, I don't think I would have spent the money or devoted the space for a permanently installed one. Mine can be moved around and only needs a hose.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

We bought a stand alone shower a couple years ago on clearance.
    We put it up, hooked the garden hose up to it, and voila instant shower.

We had it up 2 years and the kids just played in it, or people would run under it if they were super hot/sweaty.
    Other than that, it didn't get used much.
    It's in the shed this year.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I plumbed one in on my construction around the pool, mainly because it will be a salt water pool and I wanted to give people the option to rinse off after. The main cost was the fixture, coz the boss wanted a stylish one so it was $300.

Another reason I put one in was for me. I wanted to be able to shower before I got in the pool after working in the yard.

The inspector hemmed and hawed and finally the head plumbing guy asked me I there was going to be soap involved (y'all aren't going to be using soap are ya?) and since he put it that way I said no. He then said they would treat it like a spigot for yard care and not worry about draining it to the sewer. That was the big deal for them, being able to tie it into the sewer but protecting it from rainwater going into the sewer as well. So I got lucky there I guess. He also told me after with a wink that when asked I should say it was cold water only.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

9. Back To Top    #9

Plumbed for it but never installed it. Not sure I ever will.

Chris
    http://www.circledspecialties.com

44,000 IG Salt Pool - Pentair VF, Quad 100, Polaris 280, IC60, 400 Mater Temp

10. Back To Top    #10

We have a full hot/cold shower inside the pool house. We've never used it for us, but it's great for washing the dog.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm building one and GUARANTEE I'll use it. When I work outside in the heat and want to go into the pool, it's painful to run inside in the AC and take a shower. Many times I give up on going back outside. I've got both hot and cold run to my shower and will be running this weekend. Can't wait to use it. I'm suprised very few use theirs.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Back in the days of yore... I lived with my sister for a while in the boonies, and the had a shower on the back porch. Her hubby (God rest his soul, he passed away last year) used to come home from work all yucky and sweaty and hit that shower before coming inside, loved that thing. But the neighbors were pretty far away!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a salt pool and will use it to wash the salt off. I used a mixing valve in the basement and ran one feed to the shower. The shower is not too hot which gets people out of it. The screw up I made was not having a shower stall for changing privacy. Turns out we love to change at the shower. I will update it with a stall when I get some time.
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

14. Back To Top    #14

Unless you live near the beach and need to rinse off sand, etc. before getting in the pool I don't see a need for having one. Asking people to shower before they enter the pool is just wrong. Nobody has ever asked to shower after getting out of my pool, but I don't have a saltwater pool. An outdoor toilet would get a lot more use at my place.
    Phoenix, AZ
    Unknown pool size -Diving pool

15. Back To Top    #15

I would strongly consider adding one of the various home made solar warmed PVC shower projects that can be portable and attached to a garden hose, I have a bathroom with a real shower in the pool house, and can tell you if I had a chance to redesign it the shower would be in its own room, and an additional "outdoor" shower could be a real consideration too. It is surprising how many people (usually women), like the idea of taking a long hot shower after swimming, which in the case of my pool ties up the only nearby bathroom also, the next nearest is about 75 feet away in the house.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm thinking about adding one when I pour the slab for the pool slide I got last year, the neighbors can't see into thar part of our yard. I saw a few simple ones in the corners of the backyards of houses we looked at when we were house shopping. With a chlorine pool we like to rinse the poison off after swimming
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

17. Back To Top    #17

We finally have ours up and running. Take showers pretty frequently at the end of the day out there instead of inside. It feels SO GOOD! We've got a lot of the grown kids come over and each one of them loves it. I love using it prior to swimming if I've been working out there and also just to cool down in this HOT and HUMID year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TFT-100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    We finally have ours up and running. Take showers pretty frequently at the end of the day out there instead of inside. It feels SO GOOD! We've got a lot of the grown kids come over and each one of them loves it. I love using it prior to swimming if I've been working out there and also just to cool down in this HOT and HUMID year.
    Wow that's really nice! and big! much nicer than what I was thinking. Do you have any other pics?
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

19. Back To Top    #19

My entire construction is at http://www.golfmd.com/baurphotoalbum/poolconstruction
    It's hard to get too many good pictures of the shower without a wide angle lens
    The shower is in Phase V.
    TFT-100 test kit