New 1HP motor on a 1/2HP pump. Will this work?

May 31, 2011
My pump died last night, so I called my pool company when I got to work this morning. He sent a service guy out while I was gone. When I got home, there was a note that said "Your pump was no good, so we replaced the motor.". I looked at the new motor, saw that it was an Emerson 1HP motor, and decided to go online to see how much this motor would cost to purchase. I also took down the model number of the pump assembly to look up as well.

It turns out I have a Sta-Rite Duraglas pump that, according to the model number, originally had a 1/2HP motor. Now I'm relatively new to the house, so I'm not sure if the motor that was replaced today was original or not, nor do I know how many horsies it had. My question is: Will the new 1HP motor cause issues when stuck where there was a 1/2HP motor previously? There is no indication the impeller was changed. Should I be bothered by that?

Thanks for your responses :)
~djc

Need some details first. What is the model# of your Duraglass pump?

Also, on your new motor, what is the "Service Factor" rating? It might be labeled "SF".

It means that you have an 1 HP uprated motor on a uprated 1/2 HP pump. That is almost 2:1 underloading. It will run fine but the power factor will be quite low and efficiency will suffer some. It isn't ideal but shouldn't cause any issues either but it may cost a little more to run. I suspect the problem is finding a small enough motor. I would contact the company and ask why such a large motor was put on such a small pump.

Thanks for the reassurance. Power consumption aside (although still important), I was more concerned with the pump blowing out in another month because of the mismatch. I've been running the thing pretty much 24/7 for the summer.

I will talk to the pool company though and ask why the mismatch in the first place.

Cheers,
~djc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.