Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: load center question!

1. Back To Top    #1

load center question!

Ive just finished installing a pump house (ok its a 10X10 shed, but its my pump house now!). Im going to be putting a loadcenter (breaker box) in the pump house i can have all my wireing done properly (it used be to be on extension cords, ugh). Ive read that load centers need to be 18" from pool equipment, mine will be located apx 6ft away, my question is since the breaker box is inside a pump house, can i use a "indoor" panel, or since it is fairly close to pool equipment, do i need to use a outdoor one?
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: load center question!

If it's got a true roof (shingles or whatever) and walls you can use an indoor panel. An outdoor panel is made to mount through the back while indoor panels are made to go between studs so the mounting holes are through the sides, though a drill can fix either one. Also an outdoor panel is formed differently to try to keep the water out (lips over exposed seams and such).
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

load center question!

The shed has sheet metal walls, and sheet metal roof, I haven't had a drop of water in there yet. Mounting wise I can fabricate whatever I need for it. still havent found anything code related that says either way so I'm guessing the distance is all that matters.
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: load center question!

In that situation I would go with an outdoor model myself. Just my 2cents.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here